National Tyre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went there yesterday for new tyres.

Since they were taken over by Halfords, the service has gone down the drain.

I booked online for 1300.

At 1245, I got a call from National/ Halfords.

"Just wondering why you have missed your 10 o'clock tyre appointment?"

I told them I had paperwork in front of me that said I had a 1pm slot.

"Ah, it's still OK, you can still come..."

Thank you for telling me it's OK for me to come to an appointment with you at the time I booked it!

So we got there. I had printed off a discount voucher from National's website in case we needed any brake work. In the website it advised customers to declare the voucher before any work started. So I told the geezer. "Oh, it won't be valid because we're Halfords now."

I told him it was valid, showed him the date it was printed and argued that I bought the tyres from National's website, downloaded a discount voucher from there and lo and behold, here I am at a National centre ready to receive my tyres. He wasn't having it and told me I couldn't have the discount, as did the bloke on reception at the Halfords Autocentre next door. As it happened, we didn't need brake work doing.

They did recommend some drop-links needed replacing.

Screenshot_20220814-170707.png

Can you see why the pricing is as it is, when only one rear link needs replacing?

Sponsored Links
The rear links are different to the front, but similar valued. Not sure there is that much more work or harder to fit though.

But what would annoy me is that if I went there for front tyres and they started looking all over the vehicle for extra work, unless you asked for it to be checked if course.

I I understand the responsibility to ensure safety, but only of the area being worked on, or a full mot type check

Despite the clearly naff administration of this firm, I'm happy to see a safety check on your vehicle - as far as that goes of course!
The costs to replace the two front stabilisers is good, I can't comment on the rear one though.......of course you don't have to use this firm if you don't want to. At 163k miles, they have done very well, assuming they are the originals - and the replacements won't last nearly as long as those!
The FRV was very well put together, being made in Japan and you seem to be reaping those rewards.
Good luck with it - I'd hang on to this one!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The world in which we now live I'm afraid.
There are shortages now, but we'll never be short of bullshit & rip-off artists.
If ever I have new tyres fitted & receive an adverse 'safety check' I show the report to my local garage & let them sort it.

I'm sure there is an issue.

Over a bumpy road, the suspension rattles like heck.

There some numbers with two 2s in,could that be the date code?

There will be a four digit code, the last two are the year of manufacture, the first two the week and month (I think).
Time for that ally wheel cleaner!
The disc looks good though.
John

secure, respectfuly your photo a bit crap. Also, does it really matter?
The angle isn't brill, but that's cos I can't grovel about on the ground!

I was just interested to see how old they were. The German standard considers unfitted tyres that are up to 5 years old as new.

There will be a four digit code, the last two are the year of manufacture, the first two the week and month (I think).
Time for that ally wheel cleaner!
The disc looks good though.
John
Thank you. The fronts are even worse. I'm a bit ashamed, actually....

I was worried the brakes would need work, but the National guy said all the discs and pads were in fine fettle.

Sponsored Links
Back