NCB retained post accident but still charged higher premium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Selecting some of the on-line motor insurance quotes I am noticing an anomaly amongst several of the companies and I would appreciate some views.

To cut a long story short I had a prang last June in my motor. I was driven into from behind by some retired, though thankfully insurance covered, halfwit. The liability was established within a few weeks and the car has long since been repaired. Anyway it is fast approaching the time when I will need to renew my insurance with the existing company and in anticipation of the renewal I thought that I would examine the competitiveness of the on-line companies.

With each company I have tried to obtain two quotes: one specifying that I have been involved in no accident at all in the last five years; the other disclosing any details that are asked and this always prompts for details as to whether the no claims bonus was retained, which was the case. As for inputting this info what happens is that once the first quote (not specifying accident) is obtained, it is possible to amend previously submitted details. At this stage, then, the accident details are submitted and the quote provided. Prices with increases of about £60 - £70 are then displayed.

The retention of my NCB is unequivocal and I have a letter from my broker to demonstrate such. Why then should there be any penalty in premium for my subsequent insurance simply being a victim of an accident which the other parties liability is accepted?

Can anyone shed any light on this matter? Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Always happens this mate i'm sorry to say. Most people get confused about NCD protection policies. They do indeed protect your NCD but this has nothing to do with the premium. It is unfortunate the accident wasn't your fault, but in truth they don't seem bothered about that, it is a chance for more money.

I am not convinced on-line is the best, yes it is easier, but talking to a broker over a desk where you can explain the situation may be better.

In my limited experience of on line quotes they are cheaper for the average but sting you for any slight changes. Sainsbury insurance recently charged us £40 to change from one car to an identical other car. My brother did the same with our company broker and there was no charge at all.

If they don't get you one way they do the other.

david and julie said:
My brother did the same with our company broker and there was no charge at all.

All the car insurance are shutting down in my area and I can see it increasing until everyone can use the on-line service, a few years to go I think.

Benny_the_ball-valve said:
Can anyone shed any light on this matter? Any advice gratefully received.

I look at it this way:

an insurance company is a bussines, business's make money.
to get your money they will offer you this and that, they have no "loyalty to you" (they may not like it if you go else where, but there are always others who are willing to give them money)

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
Always happens this mate i'm sorry to say. Most people get confused about NCD protection policies. They do indeed protect your NCD but this has nothing to do with the premium. It is unfortunate the accident wasn't your fault, but in truth they don't seem bothered about that, it is a chance for more money.

I am not convinced on-line is the best, yes it is easier, but talking to a broker over a desk where you can explain the situation may be better.

In my limited experience of on line quotes they are cheaper for the average but sting you for any slight changes. Sainsbury insurance recently charged us £40 to change from one car to an identical other car. My brother did the same with our company broker and there was no charge at all.

Well, David + Julie, I am very surprised and disappointed to hear this. I have never had any problems previously with insurance, perhaps because I have been lucky enough not to be involved in any accidents. If this sort of thing has become 'standard practice' then I will definetly be taking your advice and looking for a (honest) broker. Though from what Masona says they are a dying breed.

breezer said:
I look at it this way:

an insurance company is a bussines, business's make money.
to get your money they will offer you this and that, they have no "loyalty to you" (they may not like it if you go else where, but there are always others who are willing to give them money)

Breezer, I am as supportive as the next person with regards to commercial enterprise, but all business is supposed to conform to a basic code of practice. My experience with the on-line quotations I would suggest breach any such code of practice. Also business does need to show loyalty to good customers. I have had a claims free history re motor insurance and I imagine would be regarded as a good, insurable, low-risk customer. If that is not the case then I will take your advice and "go elsewhere".

Thanks for your advice everybody.

Talking about the insurance companies taking the p**s. About 2 or 3 weeks ago someone drove into the back of my car whilst Julie was driving it, they then drove off and she didn't get their number because it was dark and snowing.

We are both insured ,on our own cars, with the same company and are both named on each others policies. We have claimed on my insurance for the damage. Julie got her renewal for her car this morning and they have put it up by nearly £40 for the claim on my insurance.

So we both get an increase, me for claiming and her for being in a bump even though she did nothing wrong. Like it all their own way don't they.

I have had a claims free history re motor insurance and I imagine would be regarded as a good, insurable, low-risk customer. If that is not the case then I will take your advice and "go elsewhere".
Me too never has a claim so far, I found one online £48 cheaper and my old insurance company wouldn't pocket the difference to save me the hassles of switching over to another company. I was shock and thought they would rather keep me considering my accident free record. It was Norwich Union that didn't want to know, "quote me unhappy" :LOL:

david and julie said:
Talking about the insurance companies taking the p**s. About 2 or 3 weeks ago someone drove into the back of my car whilst Julie was driving it, they then drove off and she didn't get their number because it was dark and snowing.

We are both insured ,on our own cars, with the same company and are both named on each others policies. We have claimed on my insurance for the damage. Julie got her renewal for her car this morning and they have put it up by nearly £40 for the claim on my insurance.

So we both get an increase, me for claiming and her for being in a bump even though she did nothing wrong. Like it all their own way don't they.

That seems totally unacceptable. Would you not consider making a written complaint to the company and if that were not to work then appealing to the Financial Ombudsman? I know it’s a pain in the pants, but it might be worth a shot.

masona said:
Me too never has a claim so far, I found one online £48 cheaper and my old insurance company wouldn't pocket the difference to save me the hassles of switching over to another company. I was shock and thought they would rather keep me considering my accident free record. It was Norwich Union that didn't want to know, "quote me unhappy" :LOL:

The point here is that it is worth always looking round for a better quote, as staying with one company year after year, irrespective of claims history, seems to count for liitle these days. :(

It would have been amusing if you had obtained your cheaper quote from Norwich Union Direct. ;)

It would have been amusing if you had obtained your cheaper quote from Norwich Union Direct. ;)
Oh they will, they will try and bride me a cheaper quote next year and the beauty of it I just sit here while they're fighting for my business instead of the other way round :!: That why I never stay long with them unless the quote is cheaper than others.

masona said:
Oh they will, they will try and bride me a cheaper quote next year and the beauty of it I just sit here while they're fighting for my business instead of the other way round :!: That why I never stay long with them unless the quote is cheaper than others.

Bride? Are they offering matrimonial alliances as well as insurance?

Sponsored Links
Back