Is it a con

Bugs me that third party is quite often more expensive than fully comp.
It's because the quotes are computer generated and computers are retarded!
Insurance premiums are based on probabilities based partly on historical evidence and partly on guesswork. I struggle to believe that people taking out third party insurance are inherently more dangerous drivers, especially if they have 20+ years of a clean record. Which brings on another query - why does it seem to be impossible to have protected NCD third party insurance?

Here's a nice anomaly - A friend of mine had his car keys stolen after a break in to his house, so he claimed for a new lockset and alarm from his car insurers, who were happy to pay out the £350 for it. When he came to look for a renewal quote he was told to put this down as "stolen car but recovered" in the search engine.

Sponsored Links
If you drive a 20 year old car and are prepared to limit your mileage to, say 5000 per year, you can get classic car insurance.
I pay about £80 a year for a 21 year old 3 litre turbo, whereas a 16 year old 2.5 litre diesel costs about £400 a year.

You might even get classic car insurance on a 15 year old vehicle.
http://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/qualifying_for_classic.htm

One school of though is to cut your premium right down by increasing your xs to the max and not adding on anything at all ... and then just driving carefully. If you have an accident and its not your fault, then you are OK, if it is your fault then you just take the hit for being careless

Even if it's not your fault your premium can go up. Although you might not lose any no-claim discount, there are insurers who will still load the next premium because you were involved in an accident, even though it might have been established that you were completely blameless.

Bugs me that third party is quite often more expensive than fully comp.

Many companies won't offer third-party-only policies at all now, and for those that do you can bet the quote will be a lot higher than for TPF&T or comprehensive.

The entire system is completely screwy and makes little sense. For example, I needed a new policy for a new (to me that is!) car in January and did the usual shopping around. Third-party only, as usual, was offered by only a few places at over £300. The cheapest TPF&T policy available was about £180. In the end I found comprehensive cover for £156. By adding two extra drivers, one of whom doesn't have a U.K. license, it came down to £151. That latter point illustrates another absurdity of the insurance industry: How can adding extra drivers reduce the risk?

The auto insurance companies do what they like as they have a forced customer base of millions because insurance is compulsory (unless you happen to have £500,000 laying around spare to go down the other legal route of posting a security deposit). If the mandatory insurance requirement were scrapped tomorrow, does anyone think that the insurers would not soon start acting more reasonably in an attempt to get people to avail of their services voluntarily?

Sponsored Links
The auto insurance companies do what they like as they have a forced customer base of millions because insurance is compulsory (unless you happen to have £500,000 laying around spare to go down the other legal route of posting a security deposit). If the mandatory insurance requirement were scrapped tomorrow, does anyone think that the insurers would not soon start acting more reasonably in an attempt to get people to avail of their services voluntarily?
It might also make them use repair companies who charge realistic prices rather than bumped up ones, which ultimately we all have to pay for.

Nothings perfect.
Traffic jams
Traffic wardens
Road works
Accidents
Parking
Etc

Just a tip, if shopping around on the internet, make a note of all the quotes that you get online. Then, when you have decided which to purchase, clear all your cookies off the computer before going back to the site to purchase. Or else they will have added 10% or something like because their site knows you were interested previously. No cookies = no trace of a previous visit.

The same goes for flights and holidays too.

dave

That makes no sense

If you have a quote then that is the price you pay so how can they add 10% if you go back to their site? :confused:
It certainly happens with airlines...However, it's not just to do with cookies.

Was going to book a budget flight, and got a £105 quote. Went to double check the date and logged off. Logged back on and the price went up to £155. Tried again on a laptop, and the price remained at £155. Then logged on using a proxy, and the price dropped back to £105...

So they also appear to be using ip addresses to sometimes 'hide' the cheaper seats after you have already visited...

Go to The Childrens Channel.
Ask for streaming feed.

Then get Cookie Monster ..........................He lives on Sesame Street.

Then hit enter and he goes.............."Me eat cookie!", job done

Had to do that soz...................pmsl

Download CCleaner.
Great cleaning device, first time you run it...........it says gonna clean everything....let it.

See how much faster your pooter runs after it too!

Go to The Childrens Channel.
Ask for streaming feed.

Then get Cookie Monster ..........................He lives on Sesame Street.

Then hit enter and he goes.............."Me eat cookie!", job done

Had to do that soz...................pmsl

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back