Is it a con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No claims discount protection is my gripe today, my insurance renewal has come through and is horrendously high through no fault of my own.

Having done many quotes on line I have learnt that the No Claims Discount Protection varies from £40 to £50, however, I am wondering is this just a con.

Lets say I have protected no claims discount at 60% and then have an accident where I have to make a claim on my insurance, whilst I will lose the protection I will retain my 60% no claims discount. However, when my renewal comes though again, I will notice an increase in premium as a direct consequence of the claim I made, therefore not only have I lost my No Claims Discount Protection but have also suffered an increase in premium.

So my question is this: Had I not have paid for the NCD protection and still made a claim against my insurance company my NCD would be reduced to 40% at renewal thus increasing my renewal premium by 20%. To my mind regardless of the NCD Protection, if a claim is going to be made against the insurance then they must load the premium as a penalty and would this loading be equal to 20% thus making the NCD Protection a farse.

Sponsored Links
Insurance companies have put up premiums in the past year or so. I have 7 yrs NCD, yet my car insurance now goes up every year. Each year the excuse is they are having to pay out for uninsured drivers, yet the police and DVLA have them down on a register which their ANPR cameras can pick up. Still my insurance goes up. Even comparing TPFT against fully comp doesn't make much (if any )difference. The difference in quotes between the two types of insurance are negligible, yet one will supply me with a replacement car whilst mine's off the road (following an accident) and the other one leaves me with next to nothing.
Summat wrong somewhere along the line. These insurance companies know they have us by the proverbial dogs danglies
Last year my brothers insurers (Direct Line) put his premiums up from £400 to over £2000. He phoned them up to query it, they claimed it was a computer mistake and if he re insured over the phone, they could save him £300, (off the £2000 quote) there and then.!!! Needless to say he didn't insure with them, but went online and got it for £425 elsewhere.

Just a tip, if shopping around on the internet, make a note of all the quotes that you get online. Then, when you have decided which to purchase, clear all your cookies off the computer before going back to the site to purchase. Or else they will have added 10% or something like because their site knows you were interested previously. No cookies = no trace of a previous visit.

The same goes for flights and holidays too.

dave

Sponsored Links
Another tip, if you go shopping for on-line insurance, do it in good time for them to call you with a reduced quote.
By then you will have a good idea what you should expect to be paying and they will offer it for less.

Just a tip, if shopping around on the internet, make a note of all the quotes that you get online. Then, when you have decided which to purchase, clear all your cookies off the computer before going back to the site to purchase. Or else they will have added 10% or something like because their site knows you were interested previously. No cookies = no trace of a previous visit.

dave

That makes no sense

If you have a quote then that is the price you pay so how can they add 10% if you go back to their site? :confused:

dave

That makes no sense

If you have a quote then that is the price you pay so how can they add 10% if you go back to their site? :confused:
Does make sense if the quote is stated as being valid for a given period of time.

Having done many quotes on line I have learnt that the No Claims Discount Protection varies from £40 to £50, however, I am wondering is this just a con.

It is a con, and you are stuck between a rock and a hard place

If you don't pay the protection then if you do make a claim then your next years premium will go up due to less of a NCD and the fact that you are a higher risk

If you pay for the premium then it only goes up by the higher risk factor

In any case the premium will go up due to all policy increases

I actually get cheaper quotes from my current insurers renewal notice when I go online and fill their forms in. So when the same company quotes be differently for the same risk, then there is no hope in it being fair.

One school of though is to cut your premium right down by increasing your xs to the max and not adding on anything at all ... and then just driving carefully. If you have an accident and its not your fault, then you are OK, if it is your fault then you just take the hit for being careless

Does make sense if the quote is stated as being valid for a given period of time.

No it still makes no sense because if the quote is only valid for a period of time then that has nothing to do with deleting cookies and the company automatically increasing quotes just because you go back to their site a second time

All quotes are time limited

Bugs me that third party is quite often more expensive than fully comp. I've got a car that's worth probably about £1200 now and which I have no intention of claiming for any damages or repairs or even write off now, since this will probably cost more through paying the aggregate increase in premiums over the next few years than the value of the car.

So all I want is protection in the event of me damaging someone else. Why is this more expensive??

Got a sparky m8, his van got clamped yrs back. Got to van saw it clamped, took tools out. Said the clamping fee was more than the van was worth so left it there ROFL.

No it still makes no sense because if the quote is only valid for a period of time then that has nothing to do with deleting cookies and the company automatically increasing quotes just because you go back to their site a second time

All quotes are time limited
I can see you reasoning here and am inclined to go with it. It is, however, theoretically possible for a company to use stored cookie's on you PC to make different quotes beyond the time-period compared to potential one's had those cookies not been stored. Somehow, this would seem entirely unecessary since during you quotation process, you do tend to have to put in your car details, home address and name anyway :LOL:

Got a sparky m8, his van got clamped yrs back. Got to van saw it clamped, took tools out. Said the clamping fee was more than the van was worth so left it there ROFL.
Don't blame him ;)

Actually think it had been clamped then towed.

So he had
clamp fee
tow fee
a days storage
parking ticket

Now they crush them and you still have to pay.

Sponsored Links
Back