Is this legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It all started when my fridge freezer packed in.
Rang Indesit, ( its a hotpoint freezer and parts are free for first 5 years if fitted by their engineers) and was told I had 2 choices, pay £100 and they would if at all possible fix it, with the proviso if it was beyond repair I would loose my £100.
Second option pay £15 per month for 10 months and after being fixed if it breaks down again in next 12 months it would be repaired or replaced.
Agreed second option with the proviso that somebody must call out and repair fridge in 24hrs, I had just stocked it up with load of food.
and didnt want to waste it.
I also said at this stage if they could not get somebody out by the next day I would contact a local company.
I was then asked for my bank account number and when I asked why he needed it at this stage, he said that the planning dept would not give an appointment date without it, in any event they would ring back within 2 hrs and let me know if they could send fitter out next day. Nothing would be done with my account until the date of the visit was sorted.
He then gave me what he said was a reference number to use if I needed to get back to them.
Needless to say nobody rang me back that day, and I made arrangements locally for somebody to call out.
24 hrs later I received a pre-recorded telephone message from Indesit telling me that somebody would be calling to look at freezer 3 days later.
After several attempts on the phone to in an attempt to cancel the visit I was told that the reference number I was quoting was indeed a policy number for an insurance scheme which I had apparently agreed to.
Not only that, but they could not cancel it, but it was up to me to contact the insurance company to cancel the policy.
I finally managed to get them to see the error of their ways and they agreed to do the necessary and I thought that was the end of it.
Not so, on checking my bank account details on line I now find that new standing order has appeared on my bank details to pay a monthly premium to the insurance company. I duly canceled this before the first instalment was paid.
Surely that was the end of it, not so, this morning I received the policy details through the post welcoming me to their ranks.
At no time did I give them the issue number, security number or expiry date of the card.
All they had was my account number yet they still somehow managed to set up payment without my authority.
I suspect that the reps are on some bonus scheme for each of these policies which they sell, be warned.

Sponsored Links
They only need your sort code and account number. Once processed it's all automatic and your letters will have come accordingly.

Sice you have cancelled the standing order, you will no doubt shortly receive letters valueing you for your custom or reminders etc, which you wiil not doubt duly ignore.

Technically, since they arranged a visit, and had advised you that your bank details will be used at this time, (by implication from - "Nothing would be done with my account until the date of the visit was sorted") they have not acted illegally.

As with all call centres, noone speaks to each other and certainly do not read notes left on the system.

F**k them off and ignore it.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, I was just curious as no doubt you’re aware of the Sale of Goods Act and how long goods should last and all that, at 4 years it’s a fairly grey area and the retailer would expect you to pay £50 or so for every year you’d owned it so it wouldn’t be worth going down that route anyhoo.

Back