Need a piece of wood to go round quadrant shower base, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have fitted a 800mm x 800mm quadrant shower and due to the layout it had to be built on a plinth on 2" x 4" timber so there is now a gap under the plinth which I would like to fill with a material that will curve round.

I was thinking of getting some of that mdf that is ready-cut to curve.

Is it expensive and where can you get it, have not seen it anywhere in ages?

Would you use that or would you suggest anything else that will bend enough to go round the shower?

How would you support it, I have a couple of ideas but I was hoping you guys could come up with something clever?

I have looked for UPVC as an alternative in the DIY stores but they usually sell it for soffits etc and it seems too thick (ie about 12mm) to bend that tight.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
hero - primed mdf architrave or skirting board (depending on height to be covered), then a series of cuts - about 10mm to 12mm apart - made across the rear face of the mdf with a circular saw (depth set to approx half-way*). This will allow the mdf to be flexible enough to accept the curve of the tray. Leave the mdf longer than you need until after you've done the above cutting, trim to length at the fitting stage (the material tends to 'shorten/shrink' as you curve it; fix with screws to allow access later.

*depth of cut - do a few practice cuts on some unwanted bits of the same mdf to get the correct depth; too deep and the mdf will show a series of flat faces around the curve or even split, too shallow a cut will result in the mdf not being flexible enough.

MDF under a shower tray? If it gets wet it will soak up water like the proverbial sponge.

How about using moisture resistant flexible ply? (Could be expensive, though, if you have to buy a full sheet just for this job.)

For the amount you will probably need marine board is expensive and wasteful, as has been said, mdf will soak up the water. If i were you, I would try and find in your area a company which makes upvc windows as they will have plenty of upvc filling and gap covering strips ranging in various sizes from 5mm to 100mm or so, the only down side is they tend to come in 5m lengths, so you will have waste, but then it shouldn't cost no more than £10 to buy and then you can stick this over the gap, using silicone, or mastic, but bear in mind you will have to find some way of securing the plastic whilst the said adhesive cures.:cool:

Sponsored Links
ah! ... the 'timeless' mdf trim (or even timber floor) bathroom conundrum. We've been fitting both for years without any follow-up problems because they've been fitted & finished properly. Correctly sealed and finished means the trim doesn't get wet (xerxes is of course correct generally about mdf 's reaction to water).

I've heard all the reasons for not using this or that in bathrooms 'cos of the effects of water emerging from shower stalls or slopping over bath tubs. I say treat the features in the bathroom with respect, close the shower-stall door properly, don't fill the tub to the brim then get in; result no water slops. If drying the tackle when out of the bath/shower, stand on a bath mat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back