Need a Straight Forward System to takle the "So called Rising Damp?"

Sponsored Links
Avoid cement? So whats best? Does my Plasterboard system sound good? It'll reduce my workload also.
Im going to cap off chimney's myself. And customer wants be to remove the fire chair brick and surrounding bricks, so yeh, i need somewhere to stick a vent.
Floors are excellent. In front room, i noticed today after removing carpets, a area of varnished floor. In the center of room was a un-varnished area, where a rug must have been. So they previously took care of the floors.
You see, over the road a few months ago, i replaced many 6x2 joists , as they all rotted at the ends, where they were supported by brickwork. So i expected similar here. But their great.

If the wall is going to be dry, then plaster board will be fine, leave a gap at the bottom and when refitting the skirting board leave a gap under the skirting, will allow airflow behind the boards.

But you can't go putting cement or gypsum on the walls. The walls need to breath, even if it's Dpc'd keep cement and gypsum away from the walls just incase.

If the wall is going to be dry, then plaster board will be fine, leave a gap at the bottom and when refitting the skirting board leave a gap under the skirting, will allow airflow behind the boards.

But you can't go putting cement or gypsum on the walls. The walls need to breath, even if it's Dpc'd keep cement and gypsum away from the walls just incase.
he didnt ask what not to do .
he asked what your alternative would be.
what’s your alternative. ie lime.
can you give specifics. like mixes and application ?

Sponsored Links
he didnt ask what not to do .
what’s your alternative. ie lime.
can you give specifics. like mixes and application ?

I've said what to do many times in the thread. Given various options aswell.

The issue is the walls cannot breath with what's been coated on them over the years.

If he is going to replaster the walls he should follow the below.

Screenshot_2021-11-07-21-40-36-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

If he is going to board the walls with plaster board he needs to attaché them so the damp does not trace into the board, and leave an air gap around the bottom and make sure air can flow up from beneath the floor boards behind the plaster board.

He could just fit a water proofing membrane, but this would just be masking the problem and not actually fixing it.

He's already said he is likely going to install a chemical dpc himself.

Last edited:

I'm not going to give specific mixes or tell him exactly how to plaster wall, do I need to do this?
it would be nice. you’re clearly well clued up in lime plaster application ,and where and when to use it. why not help him out?

Thanks, yeh i did mention that to Custard! That the plasterboard can wick up water if installed direct on ground. Thanks, as ive said, there's alot of techniques to get right. Also steps to do & not to do, depending on buildings previous materials. i.e not using darbo if its a older property. So thanks again

I'm not going to give specific mixes or tell him exactly how to plaster wall, do I need to do this?
Dont worry lads, youve all been spot on. I appreciate all your comments, because now, im clearer about the Why's? etc. So theres no right or wrong for me, cheers

sxturbo, sorry if you feel youve already told me. ok? I appreciate your patience ans experience, believe me.
Im not brand new either, but i know damp is a bugger if i get it wrong. I live in same street,so imagine , i dont want a knock at my door in 6 months,lol

Of course not. I dont need you to tell me use 4-w1 mix or get your trowel, stick it in the bucket.......you know what i mean? But the damp works i feel are critical. So the sequence and the correct materials are important to me, nice one m8

sxturbo, sorry if you feel youve already told me. ok? I appreciate your patience ans experience, believe me.
Im not brand new either, but i know damp is a bugger if i get it wrong. I live in same street,so imagine , i dont want a knock at my door in 6 months,lol

I'm not having a pop, I was responding to godwas post

Of course not. I dont need you to tell me use 4-w1 mix or get your trowel, stick it in the bucket.......you know what i mean? But the damp works i feel are critical. So the sequence and the correct materials are important to me, nice one m8

I've edited the post to include the mix ratios you need for lime plaster.

Note it won't give a baby smooth finish like gypsum.

When painting over lime plaster you need to use a breathable paint preferably clay based from the likes of earthborn etc.

It's expensive, but do it right do it once.

sxturbo....its all good. Its water of a ducks back,lol Fuc@in# Quacker Jacks,lol, ha ha ha

I've edited the post to include the mix ratios you need for lime plaster.

Note it won't give a baby smooth finish like gypsum.

When painting over lime plaster you need to use a breathable paint preferably clay based from the likes of earthborn etc.

It's expensive, but do it right do it once.
Thats exactly what i want fella. Thanks alot. I dont want to have to explain why its failed, after ive said to my Custard.."Im gonna use this additive & that damp proof system, and this is what to expect".
Imagine in 6 months time for him to call? lol. Guaranteed if i got a call, id know straight away, when his name pops up..."Ohh crap" lol".
Ok yeh i read that earlier on your comment about paint. I read last night not to use acrylic based paint but i never new about clay. Its new to me. What other uses does clay have? Or is it specific to damp ? Maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back