Need advice before I contine painting my doors and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I went and bought a 1L tin of Dulux pure brilliant white under coat and gloss to see if I liked it, I ended up painting a full room of skirting board and 2 doors.

However when I went to price paint online to use for my entire house I have learned that I should not be using solvent based paint because it yellows.

Number of questions,

1, I really liked the pure brilliant white, will I get the same sort of finish with Dulux quick drying gloss?

2, It does not mention undercoat on the quick drying gloss tin, is it just a case of sanding the old painted surface with no overcoat required?

3, Although the parts I have already painted are dry they still seem sort of new painted, should I leave it for an extended period of time before painting with the water based paint.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you used the blue lid (new formula) Dulux you might be ok as it is better than the original 2010 stuff.

Their quick drying gloss won't give anywhere near as nice a finish as oil based. :(

You really need to wait about a month before you can sand oil based glosses back far enough to accept a water based coating as, even though it feels dry, under the surface it is still curing and will bobble if you sand too soon.
You will then need to sand back enough to remove any sheen before applying the water based paint. I nearly always use an acrylic primer/undercoat after sanding back oil based paint in order to give a nice uniform surface to apply the new water based paint to but, in theory, if it is sanded back correctly you shouldn't really need to.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It's a silver lid with blue writing.

I think I would rather take a hit on the finish than have to paint it again in two or three years time, which is a shame as the solvent based gloss looks really good.

Sponsored Links
I must say that if true I am quite disappointed that B & Q are still selling faulty paint after dulux have admitted there is a problem with it.

I must say that if true I am quite disappointed that B & Q are still selling faulty paint after dulux have admitted there is a problem with it.

You and countless others. :mad:

It does seem odd as the retailer is generally the first port of call for problems but, after the recent admission by Dulux, perhaps retailers will be restocking with the new formula stuff. Won't hold my breath though! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back