Need advice: no broken tiles, but water stains on insidewall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a roofer to check for this problem and he think it's a big job (£500+ ). I just dont get it. !! why ?

I checked in loft, and absolutely no sign of leak anywhere.. I had someone else to check if any broken tiles and none.

If i go back, the problem started about a year ago when one roofer inserted a led plate or something.. as he mentioned to stop water dripping on my door from between the wall and gutter. i believe there was a gap..

My windows for that room and other bedrooms are open 24 x7 so air flow is not an issue.

What i think has happened, although i have little roofing knowledge is, he might have pushed the felt(or whatever its called, the plastic) while pushing the led tray in, creating an uncovered area above the wall. The water is only appearing on the wall inside, creating a wet wall if you put your handover and in some areas the colors is coming off..

I have another roofer coming in next week to see, but just thought get some more info and opinion so i can ask him questions..

Please let me know if there is a cheaper roofer in bolton area. thanks

View media item 65769 View media item 65770

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi, it is likely that the water is coming in through the cavity wall and then onto the inside wall causing damp. What I would do is to strip 3 course of slates back from the roof around where the damaged area is. From there you will be able to see if water is penetrating the felt around the damaged area.

If water is present then you need to check all the slates all the way up the roof within the diameter of the window. You can't always see if a tile is broken so they need checking, I usually lift them with a screwdriver to see if there are any cracks in them.

Once there identified they just need replacing and it is possible that the felt needs replacing by the window to stop further penetration. £500 is far too much money for a roof repair like this, it will only take a day to complete and there is very little cost in materials. I would keep searching untill you find a quote which is a lot more competitive than this zzz.spam.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back