Need advice on Lintel or RSJ for load bearing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Doing a kitchen refit and the end wall we are planning to knock through to our outbuildings just to make kitchen a bit longer as width only 2.25meter wide. The outbuilding which at the moment is toliet and old coal store so getting bricky in to take that all out and raise height of brickwork up to exsisting kitchen height. The walls are solid walls 2 coarse thick and above the kitchen is the bathroom.

Would I need beam calculations done for this small opening?

Or can i get away with a 2.6meter lintel or do I need a RSJ?

Can put picks up if need or anymore info.

Thanks for any advice[/b]

Sponsored Links
my guess is two rsj's 150x100 bolted together, but dont hold me to that its just my guess, id get professional advice

Sponsored Links
If you are getting Building Control in, they will probaby ask you for structural calculations for the beam(s) and bearings. Best bet long-term is to get an SE to do the figures.
For that sort of span, two 152x89 UBs will probably be OK.

What sort of cost is a SE? Or seen on Internet company's that do the beam calculations with info and drawings etc for like £50 is that any good down that route?

Cheers for the help and advice

Those on-line things are only as good as the info. you put into them.
More importantlly, they don't see the whole picture. Sometimes, it is not just a case of forming a new opening and putting beams in. You may have to consider the supporting structure, and in some cases other issues such as lateral stability.

If building to reg's I guess you will be upgrading the walls, floor and ceiling regards insulation etc, yes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back