Need advice

Sponsored Links
Or proving beyond reasonable doubt who did it?

Or, with nobody smelling like a barbecue, and no electricity having gone missing, what are the chances of persuading the DPP, or the police, or whoever it is, to actually prosecute?

On the other hand I would of thought if the DNO were going to do anything they would have disconnected the supply for breaking the T and C's.
And disconnect their revenue at the same time?

I think not....

I know there is a dedicated team within one DNO (which I'm sure other DNO's have similar) that follow up reports of tampering and cut off when needed.
This includes fed from a lamp post, seals missing etc.

People get their supply disconnected every day round this neck of the woods it's more common than you may think.

I've personally cut a few people off ;)

How many people get cut off when there's no theft of electricity going on, and they've not created any dangerous situation?

Sponsored Links
BAS said:
How many people get cut off when there's no theft of electricity going on, and they've not created any dangerous situation?

p.s. I haven't seen the SSE chairman's wife, but if she's as old as him, I wouldn't want to.

The ones that are not shagging the chairmans daughter(s) :LOL:

The time I did it was 2 people.

Both hadn't paid their bill. Sorry! :LOL:

My T and C's for my supply don't say theft of electricity or don't leave the cutout in a dangerous state when you move it, they say do not tamper with the equipment.

I would of thought removing a DNO seal (fiddle or not) would be tampering?

I do know my DNO have prosecuted people, but under what law or what act I don't know.

When people haven't paid their bill, what do you get sent to do, pull the fuseholder out of the cutout, drop the fuselink out and re-seal everything up? Surely thats just inviting dangerous practices to get the power back on without paying and without a fuselink in circuit?

The time I did it was 2 people.

Both hadn't paid their bill. Sorry! :LOL:
Same thing - if you've used electricity and refuse to pay for it you've effectively stolen it.

My T and C's for my supply don't say theft of electricity or don't leave the cutout in a dangerous state when you move it, they say do not tamper with the equipment.
I'm sure mine do too, but my question is this:

If someone contravenes their Ts'n'Cs by tampering with the equipment but does not steal electricity, does not intend to steal electricity, does not injure anybody, does not cause damage to property and does not leave things in a dangerous state, how likely is the supplier to disconnect them?

Yes it's tampering.

It's also, and without recourse to the ESQCR, an offence under the Criminal Damage Act 1971, but I'd be amazed if anybody would ever be prosecuted for that, and I think the courts would take a dim view too.

When people haven't paid their bill, what do you get sent to do, pull the fuseholder out of the cutout, drop the fuselink out and re-seal everything up? Surely thats just inviting dangerous practices to get the power back on without paying and without a fuselink in circuit?

Most of the time yes that would be the easiest way.
The customer does get numerous ways to pay first, installments, prepay meter set higher to payback what is owed I believe cutting them off is a last resort.

As for inviting dangerous practices, Every effort is made to ensure the customer cannot reconnect themselves.
I'm not saying they can't or they won't.
Seals are not just for tampering they are there for safety too, if you don't cut the seals you cant touch anything live.
If the seals are removed I would of thought that would also invite certain people to have a look inside a meter?
I'm sure the DNO would deal with it differently if the supply was reconnected, I have seen the mains chopped before entering the premises before now, costly I admit but I know it does sometimes get done.

If someone contravenes their Ts'n'Cs by tampering with the equipment but does not steal electricity, does not intend to steal electricity, does not injure anybody, does not cause damage to property and does not leave things in a dangerous state, how likely is the supplier to disconnect them?

Quote:

Yes it's tampering.

It's also, and without recourse to the ESQCR, an offence under the Criminal Damage Act 1971, but I'd be amazed if anybody would ever be prosecuted for that, and I think the courts would take a dim view too.

Fair point and I agree with you it is rare for somebody to be prosecuted for cutting a seal and the DNO probably wouldn't waste their time unless something was on the fiddle but people can still be cut off and prosecuted for it.

Before Christmas I went to a customers house.
The job said CONFIRM HOW MANY METERS ARE BEING USED and ANY METERS NOT BEING USED RETURN TO RPU (Revenue Protection Unit) the fella's that usually cut people off.

It turns out the customer had had a 2rate tariff with 2 single rate meters.
He had had sparks in to do a rewire and they removed his storage heaters.
They also removed the timeclock and off peak meter thinking they weren't needed.

The customer then phoned his supplier to tell them to collect them but the supplier wanted him prosecuted for tampering with our equipment. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back