Need help disabling one light switch of a two-way circuit

If nothing happens when you touch the red and black together, I would suggest
The bulb has gone.
A trip or rcd somewhere has tripped.
A loose connection somewhere.

Try the bulb first.

Sponsored Links
While you are checking the bulb and connecting the earth back in its terminal, check that red wire isn't loose.
1720465117287.png

Thank you both!

It would appear that the live in the rose that you mentioned was "just" loose enough that I think it made the difference. I ended up testing black + red again and it turned the light on. I then connected up the two reds and blue+black and tested the blue + red on the end I wanted and it also turned on!

My only problem now is that I've connected the switch back up and now the light flashes on and off constantly (which indicates it is in pairing mode) but I can't seem to get it to pair or do anything with the wireless switch. Sigh. But that isn't your problem, so thank you for all the help!

Welp, never mind. Something else came up and I only just noticed. When the light is off, the bulb turns off then turns back on - but very dimly. It's LED. I've tried a different (same brand) bulb and the same problem occurs. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
The light bulbs are compatible?

What do the instructions say about this behaviour?

The light bulbs are compatible?

What do the instructions say about this behaviour?
The light bulbs were there before for the past year, nothing's really changed in that regard. They're not "smart" or anything!

The instructions say you have a lamp load of less than 5W if it is flashing.

You need a higher wattage of lamp.

The instructions say you have a lamp load of less than 5W if it is flashing.

You need a higher wattage of lamp.

So, the flashing I was talking about before actually stopped once I'd turned the circuit off and on again - the dim lighting is a new thing.

As for the other thing - the LED bulb is 13W~. Oddly enough, I plugged in a 20W CFL bulb and it was no longer dim after being turned off (so I got excited at the potential of this being the fix...).

But no, I was about to talk off - I noticed the bulb flash for a split second. Stood there a few seconds more and flashed again, and again. about 20-30 seconds between flashes (while being "off").

I do wonder if this is a Quinetic problem or a wiring problem. I have Quinetic in my living room and have never had problems.

Have you still got the two switches connected to the circuit?

The unit you have is only 1 way I believe.

Not wanting to sound rude, but have you fully read the instructions?

The unit you have is only 1 way I believe.

Not wanting to sound rude, but have you fully read the instructions?
Sorry about the late reply.

There's now only one switch. It would probably make more sense having read all the comments/progress in this post but of course I wouldn't expect you to waste your time like that haha.

Basically one end I've connected up 2 red cables, 1 blue + 1 black - because I don't want that switch anymore. The other end I've connected the Quinetic switch. There's not really much to the instructions (I've posted them in this post also)

I spoke to Quinetic tech support and they suggest it might be a defective switch, though I'm not convinced. I've started the replacement process but would really like to hear other opinions as I wonder if this was just me wiring something incorrectly somehow.

Okay. Replacement switch arrived, same problem. So must be the wiring. What could be causing residual current to be running to the switch even when it's off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back