Wiring up two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see the two photos below, the first photo is of the kitchen light wiring from one switch and the second photo is the hallway lights from another separate switch.

I want to connect these both to a 2 gang switch so each switch controls one of the lights independently.

The kitchen lights work fine currently (1st photo) but the hallways lights do not (2nd photo), the switch reads 0 on the multimeter as my assumption is that it's not connected to any circuit after the builders took down the partition wall.

Any advice appreciated on how to wire these up!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The second switch reads zero where? Have you tested using earth as a reference to live?

It would be wise to ask the builders, where they have disconnected the supply from?

the first photo is of the kitchen light wiring from one switch and the second photo is the hallway lights from another separate switch.
Ok.

I want to connect these both to a 2 gang switch so each switch controls one of the lights independently.
Do you mean the same as they are now, (albeit one doesn't work)?

Any advice appreciated on how to wire these up!
The same as they are now.

Do you realise a two-gang switch is just two separate switches next to each other?

Sponsored Links
Yes, and welcome to Diynot……. :rolleyes:

Another one bites the dust !

DS

In light of the evidence presented, I think the best advice on this occasion would be to call a competent electrician. We cannot help if we do not know what you/builder has done and cannot trust you to gives us honest information.

They might want to call Building Control as well, given that they are removing a wall (almost certainly notifiable) and it appears to be between a kitchen and hallway (may not be permitted).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back