2 Gang Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wondering if able to assist with this two gang switch.
It is the only light that does not work in the house.

All the wires are red, the first switch controls a light downstairs, the second switch controls a light on the upstairs hallway.

The first switch controlling the downstairs light, works fine.

The other switch to control the upstairs does not work.

I have attached a photo to show set up.

24mffkp.jpg

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
So the switch on the right doesn't work?

The link wire bottom left is in the wrong terminal.

Try moving it to the right assuming the upstairs light NEVER comes on

Need clarification as to which of the two switches doesn't work, As Andy says, move that link wire across so there are two reds in teh next terminal. (Cant see the markings).
\
If that doesnt work, try moving teh link wire to the COM on the left hand switch.

Thanks for responses.

In the photo, the one on the left is the working switch. The one on the right is not working

Sponsored Links
I tried moving the wire across so that there were two in the terminal as mentioned. I then turned trip switch on but it kept knocking off.

Humm. I guess you have another fault with the lamp rose upstairs and that wires been moved to disconnect it.

Have you done anything that started this problem?

30c6n86.jpg

Just did a quick diagram to how it currently is set up. I then swapped the wire so it had two in the terminal as mentioned.

The house was bought and been through renovation, this light has never worked as the pendant was broken and no bulb could fit into it, so changed it today and just put the wires exactly as they were from the old pendant and into the new one.

When it still was not working i thought it must be the switch.

Attached is photo of the pendant wires

2ik79s1.jpg

An interesting pendant combination. I would expect there to be another red wire there, somewhere.

I'm assuming that the cable to the switch has two reds?

An interesting pendant combination. I would expect there to be another red wire there, somewhere.

I'm assuming that the cable to the switch has two reds?

There is another single switch for this light upstairs. It has three red wires. One in the common and then one each in L1 and L2.

I thought there would be another red in the pendant too, I'm no electrician but I looked at the other pendants which were changed a while back and they have an extra red wire.

I think you've got a slightly unusual variation of the classic borrowed neutral problem.

It appears that the live and neutral loop pass through your pendant in twin and earth, whilst the switched live is supplied in singles via a twin strappers to downstairs where the live is supplied from a different circuit.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:safety_information:sneutral

Well if the power comes from down stairs there would be no extra red.

Sounds like a borrowed neutral.

Are there 2 rcds?

I think you've got a slightly unusual variation of the classic borrowed neutral problem.

It appears that the live and neutral loop pass through your pendant in twin and earth, whilst the switched live is supplied in singles via a twin strappers to downstairs where the live is supplied from a different circuit.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:safety_information:sneutral[/QUOTE]

Ah this may make sense as recently had electrican come in and we needed new fuse board put in as it was wired badly and not enough space. And the electrician put the sockets and lighting on upstairs and downstairs split.

This sounds confusing, is there no easy way of fixing this? Even if we can just get the upstairs switch working and just leave the downstairs one as a single switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back