Need Help Identifying Plumbing Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This fitting is on one of the pipes connecting to my sitting room radiator. I presume it's a shutoff valve, however if I turn the screw in either direction water spurts out. The other input has a lockshield valve.

RadiatorValve.jpg

I want to remove the radiator to decorate. Does this mean I'll have to drain the system and replace the valve?

Sponsored Links
Thats a service valve and has no right being put on a radiator.

If you turn the screw so it is horizontal then it will be closed

You say water spurts out, where from?

round the screw.. one of mine does that.... and yes, also on a rad pipe..
it's the furthest one from the boiler though if that makes any difference..

its a (cheap=leaking)service valve to shut water to a sink/cistern etc (never on a rad), you will need to drain to change, best to replace it with the correct valve, depending on how pipe gets to the rad you can get a straight or angled rad valve
*edited cause i didnt read the bit under the photo :oops:

Sponsored Links
I cant think of an occassion where i would fit one of these to a radiator....hmmm wait a min *thinks*
Nope never....
If it was me i would drain down and replace with a couple £'s lock shield

If you dont want to do that then use your imagination as a temp fix while you take the rad off.

Depending on the quality of the ball valve there is no reason why you wouldn't fit them on on a towel rail with bottom entry tails, Ballofix valves in chrome are very reliable and can withstand high temps and pressure,
but if you get the 50p ones then expect trouble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back