need help identifying weed/fungus on lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what this is:

and more importantly, how to get rid of it?

Its been on the grass on year and I think its spreading although i'm not 100% sure. I dont have much time to spend on it as the house is first priority but I would like to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply but from what I can find online Jews ear seems to be a tree based fungus.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
....and more importantly, how to get rid of it?

Its been on the grass on year and I think its spreading although i'm not 100% sure. I dont have much time to spend on it as the house is first priority but I would like to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance! :)

Judging from your photos I'm 99.99% sure that's Lichen. Which one I'm not sure but...

It will thrive in a damp, poorly drained and undernourished lawn. The way to eradicate it would be to scarify the lawn to remove any overabundance of thatch, Aerate the lawn with a hollow tiner, top dress with good topsoil then apply an Autumn lawn feed.

If you haven't got time to spend on the lawn now you can do just the affected areas but this may just work as a quick fix and not a full solution.

I suspect your description might be pretty close. We also have a lot of moss and I suspect the lawn hasn't had anything done to it except being cut for some time (bit like the house in that respect!)

I'll have a look at lichen and see if I can find more info. Thanks for the general advice, I'm sure I can find time to at least do the affected areas provided it says dry for more than a couple of hours.....

@Lorena, thanks for the link. I'll go and have a read of that thread.

Alf - pics not clear enough to make 100% ID but if you're sure it's a fungus it looks like Pleurotuellus acerosus. Lobed kidney-shaped caps, blue/grey/brown - likes to live on rich humas or rotting wood and you can't eat it.

Sorry about the pic quality, they were taken on my phone. I've also asked elsewhere and someone has also said its probably a lichen. The pictures I've seen look a promising match. I'm going to follow advice on treatment and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.

I also think it is lichen. I have it as well and it is horrible stuff. Dangerous as well as it gets very slippy in winter. I got some stuff called "Fungo" or similar years ago. I was dubious about using it as it seemed to be for treating hard surfaces like paving, but it did clear it for a while. Unfortunately it also weakened the grass which was replaced by a very course moss, almost like a heather. How the lichen is back as well!

Best of luck in dealing with it. I suspect you will need it.

Well if its a mess it will just match the house :)

I'm going to go with the sort out the soil option first and see what that gives us.

As a last resort i could lift all the grass (and moss and lichen of course) and start from scratch. Mind you the house needs to be done before I start anything like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back