need help in case i blow up my lovely(not) ariston boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please bear with, boiler has had it's annual service and has been fine but this morning got up and the boiler had been working as the raditators were warm. the pump was working but the boiler was not firing up turned the temp up and it fired up and has been fine except the temp/ pressure gauge is gone no reading at all both needles are not working, can 't get anyone to see it until thursday just want to make sure i am not going to blow/ damage it up if i keep using . i am a girl and we are rubbish at these things, many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies yes it is a eurocombi ariston(rubbish i know) and yes i i topped up water not long ago (all rads are hot) it appears to be working fine now that i have turned the main temp up, just the temperature/ pressure gauge seems not to be working.any ideas most welcome

Sponsored Links
The euro combi wasn't that bad!! Used to like fixing them.
The pressure gauge will either be blocked in the bundy tube or gone, not a biggie to replace. Will assume there's pressure in it or it would have tripped on the overheat stat. It'll be ok till Thursday. If the guy coming is any good a good service will see this boiler ok. The boilers got lots of safety cut outs should anything be a miss.

many thanks, for info least i won't freeze to death or blow up before thursday, british gas, are coming thank god for boiler insurance otherwise i'd have bought about 10 new boilers. by the way any suggestions on when to buy a new boiler, should i just wait until there are no spares? or just keep getting fixed?many thanks for help

If you are relying on BG, expect a new boiler sometime next Friday. They are renowned for declaring spares being unavailable or obsolete when an independent could get them next day.

What Dan said, if you give BG even the slightest inkling you're considering changing the boiler for a new one they'll do everything they can to convince you that you need one straight away. You'd be much better off using a local independent heating engineer, who would probably be cheaper too

update BG came said was ok checked no probs think severn trent had been messing with water supply and pressure had blown temp gauge still not working but heating fine got somthing on the pressure gauge as started working slightly. thanks for all replies

These are probably a more solidly built boiler than even DP's favourite Vokera 20-8.

Unfortunately, I can never find any excuse for not repairing them.

Tony

Ok this is an update, from lasts years post. Boiler is now making funny noise when turning on, so booked a BG ( have homecare 300) visit for next Friday. Couple of things on the boiler that is not working that BG are aware of. first is the timer which is running slow, so that when you set it for 8am it doesn"t come on until 10am, the second is the pressure/ temp gauge still not working since they saw it last year. I know what"s coming that is BG want me to have a new boiler, and they will say they cannot get parts, just wondered how I should play it, on redundancy list so cannot afford new boiler at the moment and would like to keep this one going. Any support would be most helpful.

Those two parts are probably still available.

If BG say not then try to get that noted IN WRITING and the you can wave it at them when we tell you where to buy them!

Tony

Its not really my normal way of thinking.

But its slightly annoying that BG give their staff a bonus if they can get you to agree to have a visit/quotation for a new boiler.

That can sometimes make the staff decide getting a bonus rather than fixing the boiler is better for them ( Note, for them, not better for you! ).

Furthermore they tend to state that parts are obsolete when they are not held in BG stores ( even if they may still be widely available from heating merchants ).

That"s what I would like to know , would it be better if I get the parts before they come then there is no excuse or wait and see, they know from the service history that they are not working, the last chap was really helpful re getting a new boiler and the best way to go about it but just can"t afford at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back