Need help, is this rising damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having issues with a damp spot, I can't tell if this is from a leak or rising damp etc.

30cnbx3.jpg

ra85cn.jpg

Could someone help me please? any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Can you post pictures from the outside as well please. It's got a rather odd pattern for rising damp, and seems very localised.

It's on the entrance of the lean to, the outside wall has been rendered last year and the lead on the lean to roof seems fine - I'll take pictures of the outside as soon as I can.

There is an old chimney breast in this wall but the chimney was removed before I bought the house, could this be an issue?

Sponsored Links
They may not have put the DPC in that section. but it still doesn't look like rising damp.

Yes a chimney probably has a lot of salts that absorb water from the air, it's probably soaked through to the surface now.
Unfortunately unless some suggestions come from when you show us the other side, I think you will have to chop off the plaster and redo it. You can get special solution to neutralise the salts before you ree plaster it again.
We had the same problem when they knocked off our chimney, that's how I know. Yours does look exactly like the shadow of a flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back