Need help putting up ikea bathroom cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

First post here and I am hoping some of you experts can help me.

I have a LILLÅNGEN cabinet from Ikea that need to go up in my bathroom, and its size is:

60x21x64 (17.5kg) - IKEA Large Cabinet

It needs to be hung from two screws, one each in two top corners. I live in a new build. The wall I want to hang this cabinet on is a dry wall.

My question is this, what type of screws do I use to fix these cabinets to the studs? and what size should they be?

Many thanks for reading this. Any help you can provide will be very helpful.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can locate the upright studs for a suitable secure fixing that would be the very best option or if there are any cross/horizontal noggins to fix to again a really good fixing point and standard wood screws accounting for the depth of cabinet back board, plaster and plaster depth and addition length for fixing into stud, so possibly looking a screw length between 60-80mm.
Other than that if it is a stud wall and not a dot'n'dab wall then hollow wall anchors should be used.
If dot'n'dab then you could then use a wall plug and screw type fixing into the masonry behind the board, using a hammer frame type of plug and screw at around 60-80mm into board and wall.

Take notice that there is the possibility of electrical cables and plumbing pipework buried in these walls, so you should do some investigation of the routing of these.

PBoD's advice above is spot on. These are quite good for plasterboard walls...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-nylon-32mm-pack-of-100/3685h
Drill a small pilot hole first, then screw the plastic bit into the wall until it's flush.

If you want it stronger try these...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-spring-toggles-5-x-50mm-pack-of-20/20385
You need to drill a bigger hole in the wall to push the fixing through first, then the toggle opens as you tighten it, thus holding against the inside face of the wall.

Make sure the cabinet is tight against the wall or your fixing points will wear the plasterboard.

If I remember correctly a lot of ikea cupboard have the hole area pressed to form a dimple holding the cabinet away from the wall so toggle bolts may rip thru as the load area is about the size of a 5p piece.

Sponsored Links
Screenshot (12).png

This is the instruction sheet showing the supplied levelling fixings for this cabinet. I saw that it was 17.5 Kg - unloaded, could be in excess of 20KG with shampoo bottles etc., on shelves. I would not trust this cabinet supported only with 2 plasterboard fixings, which may be your only choice given the position of the fixings, considering the mirror and glass of the cabinet, tempered glass shelves, and contents in a bathroom. Also as a fibreboard construction, the moisture will affect the strength of the cabinet construction over time in a bathroom.

The spacer disks (110646) are about 10mm thick. Rather than use just these I would obtain a sheet of 9mm ply with the width that just fits inside the 2 side pieces of the assembled cabinet (about 565mm), and at least 200 mm high.

Avoiding the top corners of this board (where the round head screws as in illustration 11 should be fixed) fix this ply to the wall, level, just 18 mm below the height you want the top of the cabinet to be. Use at least 4 screws as PBOD describes, with at least 2 into a timber stud or noggin if possible, other points using plasterboard fixings.

You then have an effective fixed batten to support the cabinet, whilst using the supplied keyhole fixings to fine level the unit, and brace it through the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back