need help removing semi old UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am intending to remove the window with minimal damage to the frame. I tried lifting up the edging but no luck. Also looked at videos online but they are mainly for new windows which are easier to remove.

I cant undo the plastic in order to reach to the screw. Would you please advise me first what tool I need and which side of the window I should put pressure on ?

PHotos are attached, please refer to the number as I have marked for better understanding.

Thank you View media item 76498 View media item 76499

Sponsored Links
I am not a window fitter (although I did sell double glazing for a short time but that's another story!). I think you will find that on externally glazed windows you need to pull out the inner rubber bead to allow the window to push back then remove the beading (1 on your picture) with a thin chisel or scraper then the glass comes out giving access to the fixing screws.

ignore 1,3 & 4, get the black gasket out on the inside from round the edge of the glass. then knock a scraper in gap 2 to take out the beads from outside, be careful glass is dangerous (obv). are they upvc windows added to a timber frame that had ali frames once? what are you replacing with? consider the thickness of the new frame

Thank you for your inputs. I will try your method today. I wont be replacing it. Just removing it. against building reg but i will be living here myself so should be fine

Sponsored Links
just before I start, do you think there is any risk the bricks exactly top of the window would fall off or get lose? not sure why they laid the brick upside down just top of the window.

Thank you

ignore 1,3 & 4, get the black gasket out on the inside from round the edge of the glass. then knock a scraper in gap 2 to take out the beads from outside, be careful glass is dangerous (obv). are they upvc windows added to a timber frame that had ali frames once? what are you replacing with? consider the thickness of the new frame

Not uncommon for the soldier course of brick to fall as often they were just built on top of the original window frame without support had the same problem at two houses while windows being changed and had a lintel installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back