need help with a chimney breast and fire back panel install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
its question time again.

I would like to finish this job soon but im in an area that im not sure about so i come cap in hand to the experts.... again.

the attached photo is of my recently removed 70's icon stone fire surround complete with lil seats with carpets on each side... yeuch

but now i have a wee problem. The white stuff on the top half is the remaining finishing plaster about 2cm thick, down to the level of the old mantelpiece. Now if i put the new marble backplate for the fire up its fine above the plaster line but there is a gap (of course) between it and the lower breeze blocks.

pic1.jpg

like this (sorry about the picture drawing quality)

pic2.jpg

Question 1 is:

Can i daub plasterboard in to the spaces on either side of the marble backplate to even it out?

Question 2 is:

If i can do this how far along towards the builders opening can i do this, all the way or a certain distance away from the opening?

If i cant do the plasterboard option what other options have i got?

Any advice will be gratefully received

Dinger

edited to correct image links

Sponsored Links
Yes you can pack it out with plasterboard but I would leave it a few inches back from the edge of the fire opening and fill in the rest with Drywall adhesive. I fit all mine with Drywall and seal the open edge all the way around with it so it is airtight. It sticks like s**t and sets solid and has never given me a problem.

A tip is to put large dabs of adhesive on the back of the marble and offer it in place and then put the chosen fire surround over the marble and push the whole lot back to the wall at once and then remove the surround and the marble will be set the correct distance out without you having to adjust the depth at all. Then you can just apply adhesive to seal up all around the edges. Hope that makes sense.

First thanks to the moderator for sorting out my photo muck ups....lol, sorry

second DAZB thanks for the advice and info m8, well i know what i'm doung tommorow, and heres me thinking i was getting a day of me holidays...lol

Thanks a lot mate

Dinger

sorry DAZB,

just looked for drywall adhesive on the web and screwfix....lol it is sunday night.

The stuff ive found is in tubes like the silica sealant... is that the right stuff???. it just seems a large area to be using tubes?? sorry mate i did tell you i was in an area that i was unsure about.

cheers

dinger

Sponsored Links
Drywall Adhesive comes in bags about the same size as a bag of Multifinish plaster and is sold at any good builders Merchants or Wickes etc..Good luck.

thanks a lot mate,

ill be in wicks tomora....thanks, there goes my day off...lol

well it'll soon be finished with a lot of help and advice from various forums on this site... thanks for all the help

Dinger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back