Need help with light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is going to seem like a really daft question but here goes.

I need to replace a GU10 spotlight bulb in the bathroom. The old one was a Diall 3W, 32mA LED bulb with 150lm output and 100° beam angle at 3000k (according to the cap). I put the part number in and it appears that B&Q don't sell it anymore, but the bulb is here.

It says on the pack that it's an equivalent of 20w incandescent.

However, when looking up most 2.8W LED bulbs now, they all output a higher amount of lumens (either 180 or 220) and all say they're equivalent to 25/30/35W bulbs.

So when picking a new LED bulb should I concentrate on the LED wattage, or should I be more worried about what it's equivalent too?

Sponsored Links
Is it just one spotlight Lamp you wish to change? LEDS have improved big time in the last year or so

Ignore the 'equivalent' data. It's usually lies or wishful thinking.

Its the lumens that you need to consider. That is the amount of light that it is alleged to produce.

The data on that lamp (from the website) is
Power consumption 2.8W
Equivalent wattage 20W
Voltage 240V
Lumens 180lm
Colour temperature 3000K
Energy rating A+
Colour description Warm white
Dimmable Non-dimmable
Warm up time 1Second
Average rated hours 25000hours

So get another 180lm warm white lamp. It'l be about the same.

PS Take the bulb (lamp) back if it lasted less than 25,000 hours!!

Sponsored Links
Unless they have changed fairly recently, lighting manufacturers take "average" life to be the time by which half of the lamps have failed.

Area is as important as lumen. So 200 lm in an area of 1 sq inch will not light as well as 200 lm in an area of 2 sq inches. At 2.8W unlikely to be a problem, it is when you look at 7W the problem really shows itself. But lamps today can produce 100 lm per watt, however 70 lm per watt is more normal as they have really poor circuits inside. In real terms it's not worth paying the extra for high quality bulbs, the £3 wonder bulbs are good enough.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80549?table=no

We fit these exclusively, and they are bleeding brilliant. Just replace all of them with these, and you'll need sunglasses in the bathroom! Did it for my parents and I was a little bit shocked tbh.

I think you'll struggle to find an LED GU10 now with <200lm from a reputable manufacturer

Is it just one spotlight Lamp you wish to change? LEDS have improved big time in the last year or so

Yes, just one if possible, but it's proving hard to find a 180lm bulb with 100° beam angle in 3000k. It's only a small bathroom so I'm sure the beam angle won't really matter, but I can only seem to find 150lm or 220lm, and they were all in varying wattages which is why I've ended up asking this haha!

Ignore the 'equivalent' data. It's usually lies or wishful thinking.

Its the lumens that you need to consider. That is the amount of light that it is alleged to produce.

The data on that lamp (from the website) is
Power consumption 2.8W
Equivalent wattage 20W
Voltage 240V
Lumens 180lm
Colour temperature 3000K
Energy rating A+
Colour description Warm white
Dimmable Non-dimmable
Warm up time 1Second
Average rated hours 25000hours

So get another 180lm warm white lamp. It'l be about the same.

PS Take the bulb (lamp) back if it lasted less than 25,000 hours!!

It's lasted a lot less than 25,000 hours but I don't have the box, receipt or anything like that! With regards to lumens, see my response above :)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80549?table=no

We fit these exclusively, and they are bleeding brilliant. Just replace all of them with these, and you'll need sunglasses in the bathroom! Did it for my parents and I was a little bit shocked tbh.

I think you'll struggle to find an LED GU10 now with <200lm from a reputable manufacturer

Would these be okay bearing in mind all of the current lamps (6) are only 3W?

Really, should I just be concentrating on lumens as opposed to wattages then? Thanks for all the answers.

With regards to lumens, see my response above ... Would these be okay bearing in mind all of the current lamps (6) are only 3W?

Really, should I just be concentrating on lumens as opposed to wattages then?
You would be able to get 300-600lm out of a 3W low pressure sodium lamp (if they made them that small).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back