Need help with stair opening guys,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have the following opening to the 1st floor.

IMAGE_009.jpg

IMAGE_010.jpg

I am planning on getting carpet put in and as you can see have ply board the floor. The ply was screwed down with many more screws than normal as the old floor boards had a fair few knots and cause uneveness. Nevertheless I now have an issue when we get near the staircase opening.

The carpet is to be laid near to the edge as possible but I dont have a clue what to fix onto the edge. Would you guys recommend the carpet to be laid to the edge and have some nosing screwed on the square edge or do i fix some form of timber edge beading and have the carpet but right to it.

I have some 1 inch timber square corner but it seems too small in size, is there anything a little larger that simply needs mitering for the corner. I am really stuck with this as I am not sure what to do

Any photos of examples you guys have would be great too.

Sponsored Links
kilo - I've posted some pics of part of my staircase to give you some ideas about how you could do yours:

pic 1 shows the whipped edge to the runner
pic 2 shows the stair rods
pic 3 shows the 'dog leg' detail
pic 4 shows the part of the 1st floor landing return
pic 5 shows the brass edging strip (using one of these avoids having to turn the carpet edge over - much neater solution)
pic 6 shows the landing (fully fitted to wall) and riser detail (runner)
pic 7 shows the the deatil at the bottom of the stairs.

All paintwork is in eggshell (or you could use satin). We originally had full stair width fitted with the spindle edge folded but Mrs Symptoms decided on runners (whipped edges) and rods and I must say we're both pleased with the outcome. Also the brass edging loks good against the inside of the spindles on the 1st floor landing. As to maintenance ... it's very easy to clean - vacuum the carpet then use the 'brushy nozzle thing' ( :oops: to do the white bits.

Matty I was thinking of this but to be honest have become lazy with all the little jobs and was trying to find a much quicker solution. If worst comes to worst Ill have to do as such i.e. have some timber overhang the edge having the edges of the timber planed and then butt another piece of timber adjacent to it i.e. on the inner side of the opening.

Symptoms, that is a great piece of work done there. Do love the gold brace type object on the inner part of the steps. The problem I have is (which I should have made clear) that the bannister and baluster are to be stainless steel with glass panels in between i.e. wouldnt have the bannister base in place hence the reason i am having an issue with fixing something onto the edges. Really dont want to be cutting, planing, sanding, filling, rubbing, undercoating, painting etc etc my own timber edge. Would rather have something more off the shelf so to say

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi big all, thanks for the links matey. I like the curvy chrome trimming, could do with that in certain places in the building. Regrding the edge, I was looking for something more L shaped i.e. something that would fit snugly on the actual corner itself. The only thing i can think of is some nosing but that just screws in over the top of the edge once the carpet is down and doesnt look like the brightest of finishes in my opinion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back