Need obsolete parts for Ideal Mexico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm hoping one of you may be able to point me in the right direction. We have an Ideal Mexico Super RS 40/60 boiler which needs a new burner and heat exchanger. If I can't get hold of these parts from somewhere we're looking at a totally impossible £6000 bill to replace our entire system as it's single pipe and no-one seems to want to put a new boiler on it (and the boiler would need relocating too as vents onto neighbour's property).

I've tried Ideal, ebay and loads of on-line shops but have only been able to find the heat exchanger. Does anyone have any bright ideas where I might be able to find the burner? The part no is 013143.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the boiler's in my Dad's house, he's a pensioner and can't afford to replace the system.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If he is disabled or on certain benefits Warmfront may be able to install a grant system/boiler replacement.

The reality is that a new boiler CAN be fitted to most one pipe systems.

Those prices sound like BG prices. Dont forget there are thousands on independent installers as well and most of them are way cheaper than BG.

Tony

Thanks for that, I would much rather get an independent in to do the work but the first 5 that saw it really didn't want the job and I couldn't even get a quote out of them. The 6th one quoted me £9,400 (for complete new system)!!!

I was really surprised that BG came out cheapest but because they can't source the replacement parts themselves they won't fit them either so will have to get an independent in if it can be replaced.

Unfortunately my Dad won't claim any benefits so we can only get the £300 warm front voucher which most independents don't want to accept.

I was just wondering if you guys in the trade have some little-known of place you go to when you need an obsolete part?

Old boilers can usually be found in the scrap yard though what condition they will be in is anyones guess. They get turned around pretty quickly. You might be lucky.

Sponsored Links
Do you know thr GC number for your boiler,that will be very handy if you can put it up tomorrow will ring couple of places see what they can do

GC is the gas council ,a unique number to identify the particuliar model

Do you know thr GC number for your boiler,that will be very handy if you can put it up tomorrow will ring couple of places see what they can do

GC is the gas council ,a unique number to identify the particuliar model

41-415-25

OK, now I'm reasonably sure I've got it, but my experience of servicing / repairs is limited so wait for one of the other guys on here to confirm.

1) Go to http://www.hssspares.co.uk/
2) Hit "Ideal" in the list of manufacturers
3) Select Part Type "Burner"
4) Most boilers are listed in sequential GC numbers, so scroll down until you get to "41-415-25 Mexico Super RS 40/60" and click it

5) Wait a short amount of time and you will be presented with an option to purchase a burner. HOWEVER, this is listed at Part Nº 013142 rather than your 013143, which makes me slightly nervous of it, but it is listed under your boiler model.

I would strongly advise you wait for someone with more servicing experience to confirm whether this is suitable, but it may get you out of a hole.

In addition to actually having the part, you need a gas engineer to fit it safely.

Assuming he fitted the main heat exchanger as well the labour bill is likely to be closer to £350 than £250.

At that cost the usual preference would be to obtain a new boiler.

Tony

Can i suggest you get in a local time served Gas safe Registered engineer,someone who will have experience of these older boilers and doesn't mind stripping them down.maybe a recommendtion from friends or family ,.
I made quick call earlier to our local parts supplier he couldn't locate the burner but the heat exchanger is available want to save the hassle of £6000 then i suggest this route for you

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have been able to find the heat exchanger, it's the burner I'm having real problems with. A couple of sites do have it listed as muggles said above but after calling them and speaking to Ideal it looks like their descriptions are wrong and it does need to be the part 013143.

I would happily replace just the boiler and BG have told me there should be no problem sticking an Ideal Mexico HE on our system but they won't do it themselves as they won't work on single pipe systems and I am having no luck finding a local engineer who will.

Although BG have assured me that an HE would work on it and can be located where our old one is the local guys reckon it would have to be moved as vents onto a neighbours property and in any case none of them will fit it to a single pipe system. Have had no heating now since beginning of November and really don't know how I'm going to sort it out.

Quotes for ripping the whole system out vary from £6k to £9.5k and that's way out of our budget...any more ideas on where I could find the burner?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back