need quiet light switch

Sponsored Links
It will work as a switch.

However it is located in the USA, designed for 120V circuits, must be fitted to whatever mounting boxes they have in the USA, requires a front plate also from the USA, and will be of no use whatsoever in this country.

I would go with dimmer switches but I use energy saving bulbs, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Why does it need to be 'quiet'? How noisy are your light switches?

Edit: spelling :!:

Would this also do?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381021632932
I will just have to take a leap of faith and trust you that they are quiet.

Also will they be the same size as the old ones? What do I have to do to the wall if they are bigger or smaller? (Sorry, newbie question).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would go with dimmer switches but I use energy saving bulbs, any ideas?
Some energy saving bulbs/lamps (and LEDs) are dimmable, provided one uses a compatible dimmer.

I'm not quite sure why you are concerned about 'quiet' (as has been asked, how noisy are your current switches, and how often are they operated?) but the ultimate in 'quiet' would be a 'touch' switch or dimmer, which involved no moving parts at all (and is hence 'silent') - but, again, you would need to make sure that they were compatible with whatever lamps/bulbs you were using.

Your original link was to a (US) switch which was described as a 'grounding switch'. I don't know what that is (it sounds like something designed to connect things to earth, which is certainly what one would need for a light switch!!) - does anyone know?

Kind Regards, John

How noisy? do you want a dB rating ?

they are loud enough to be heard in other rooms through closed doors. But then I have stud walls.

Other than the touch switches mentioned above, have you looked at remote control? Again they may not be compatible with CFLs but you could investigate.

How noisy? do you want a dB rating ? they are loud enough to be heard in other rooms through closed doors. But then I have stud walls.
I just wondered, as have others, why you are concerned about the noise. Light switches are operated so relatively rarely, and the sound of that operation only persists for a fraction of a second, so most people probably wouldn't be concerned about it being audible, for that occasional fraction of a second, in other rooms.

However, it's obviously a personal choice and, as I've said, if it's a real issue for you, then 'touch' switches/dimmers are totally silent in operation.

Kind Regards, John

Would this also do?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381021632932
I will just have to take a leap of faith and trust you that they are quiet.

Also will they be the same size as the old ones? What do I have to do to the wall if they are bigger or smaller? (Sorry, newbie question).

I haven't tried the metal ones, but they look like the same style as the quiet white ones.

They are standard size so should fit fine and well worth trying rather than complicated switches!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Your original link was to a (US) switch which was described as a 'grounding switch'. I don't know what that is (it sounds like something designed to connect things to earth, which is certainly what one would need for a light switch!!) - does anyone know?

Kind Regards, John

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that it's a SPCO switch with the common connection being the switched live, and the live feed and an earth connection to the other two terminals. By earthing the switched live in the "OFF" position you would eliminate the "flashing" problem associated with capacitive coupling and LED and other LE lamps.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that it's a SPCO switch with the common connection being the switched live, and the live feed and an earth connection to the other two terminals. By earthing the switched live in the "OFF" position you would eliminate the "flashing" problem associated with capacitive coupling and LED and other LE lamps.
Maybe - your guess is as good as mine. I tried Googling it and got any number of different 'explanations'of what a 'grounding switch' was (including variants of what you have suggested) - some even saying that it just referred to a metal switch which had an earthing terminal for the metal bits (the implication being that some metal switches, at least in the US, don't!) ... so I really don't know!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back