Wrong Switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just been given an electronic timer switch for my security light in my back garden. Could someone please look at the diagram and tell me if it's the correct type of switch? :oops:

TIA

switch.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is the old one fed from a lighting ciruit? I'm wondering why it is fused - could be as it is from a socket circuit.
If it is from the lighting circuit then you need to join the 2 neutrals together in a piece of terminal block and just connect live and switch live to the switch. Ignore the 2 way.
The earths connect together and to the earth terminal if provided.

If it is from the socket circuit then you may be better leaving the FCU where it is and adding the new switch next to it.

The present switch also has a fuse in it. That might be an essential part of the safety of the installation.

Where does the power come from ? Does it come from a lighting circuit ( 6 amp or less fuse/MCB in CU or from a supply to sockets ( 20 amp or more fuse / MCB ) in the CU

If from sockets then you MUST have that fuse in the circuit.

Live feed to Live on switch. Lamp connects to Load on the switch.

Neutrals in a terminal block. Earths in a terminal block

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/pdf/T40SWiringDiags.pdf

edit ( delayed by long phone call while writting this )

Thanks so much fellas. :D
The power appears to come from sockets and not from the lighting ring. Also, there is a fuse on the front of the new switch (20mm x 5mm).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back