Need some help choosing trees

Pics are a great help. Isn't it going to be lovely! Lots of character already as a result of all the hard work doing the terracing.

Think the gunnii in the link is gunnii divaricata - which tends to have several trunks. Ordinary gunnii tend to be single trunk, but the one in the photo may have been cut low when young, thus forcing many stems. It looks ideal in the photo - but it won't stay like that and could get jumbo big. But, as you say, you're willing to keep it in trim.

You could think about a few shrubs like mallow or buddleia, which would be quick growing and attract lots of butterflies, and insects. Buddleia 'lochinch' is a good variety which doesn't get too tall.

Somebody suggested Hazel - new one on me - looks good.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated :)

Thanks for the info, so which Gunnii would suite me best? Going to have a look around local gardens centers this weekend.

As you say, it will get big if i just leave it, so i wil put the work in, as i basically want an instant tree to hide the neighbors that's al year around, and this seems to fit the bill :)

I did find an excellent site which had all the varieties very cheap, bu hen noticed it was in Australia LoL Also i see a project in Kent has had success with these.

There's still lots to do, but once i get he trees in, i can work from there.

Probably the ordinary gunnii would do for your purposes. Having seen pics, would have a look at some of the ornamental acers + rowan + hawthorn (crataegus) + fruit trees + hazel + prunus amanogawa.

Have put an album up with three pictures which may help. One shows a gunnii I put in about 7 years ago to hide the neighbour's new extension. I take about 6-8ft off each year and it's kept it "neighbourly".

The second shows a border with another gunnii I have left tall, but it's for a trim this year. This border shows a longer term plan. Leyland at the back (all groan) which will ultimately come out, holly at the back will be left in. Silver birth either end will be left in, sorbus aria 'lutescens' (small tree right) will be left in. Eucalyptus may be dumped or cut lower.

Third shows the two different sizes of Eucalyptus gunnii I bought last year. As you can see, smaller one much better.

Wow, thanks, they look fantastic. thank you very much.

In the last pic with them in pots, the one on the right - how tall is That?

Can you get a breed that has leaves lower to the floor as they seem to have a lot of trunk before the leaves start or is that just a bad example on the right As the one on the left looks ideal for what i need.

Found some nice examples here - http://www.johnbrown-nurseries.ltd.uk/prod01.htm

I quite like the Golden Acacia's as well as the weeping birch as this seems to cover a large area for an ornamental tree, would be nice in the back corners maybe?

Also is the Eucalyptus Niphophila a smaller breed than the gannii?

Sorry for all the questions, but i am very new to this and want to understand and get this right :)

Sponsored Links
One on right about 10ft - dreadful specimen.
One on left about 6ft - good foliage all the way down. But should have been planted out much sooner. Recommended ideal plant size 45cm to ensure good root to shoot balance. My big ones were put in at this size. By taking the tops out regularly will keep more foliage lower down. But gunnii does keep trying to grow tall with a bare trunk.

Eucalyptus Niphopila (Alpine Snow Gum) better choice for a small/medium garden, smaller than gunnii. Also a weeping variety Eucalyptus niphophila 'pendula'.

Golden acacia good choice - I bought one after being impressed by it in another garden. Mine's been a bit slow, but gorgeous vibrant colour. (Photo see album - situation too shady, hence slow growth.)

Weeping birch (Betula pendula 'Youngii') another good idea - can get biggish - wide and lots of leaves to clear up! But these two together at the back would contrast nicely in shape and colour.

Gosh, impressed. You've learnt such a lot in such a short space of time. Good link, too. Will look forward to hearing what you see/buy.

Welcome to tree addicts anonymous.

Think you may be on to a winner here: multi-stemmed small tree, seldom exceeds 20ft. This could be the one for you, well spotted. Would probably be quite slow growing. I've no experience of it, but sounds a very useful addition to the databank. Nearly fainted at the price, though.

LoL.

Here are some shots from our back door, this will show why i need some fast growing trees up:

backdoorview1.jpg

I would like to put a tree where the dog kennel is, but it will be close to the fences and walls. Do you think i could put a tree in a large pot and sink the pot into the ground here?

backdoorview2.jpg

backdoorview3.jpg

Hmmm. Pics really helpful. This is going to need some thinking about. I know exactly where you are coming from. Spent 20 years establishing privacy then last year someone lobbed up a grossly intrusive loft extension and all that work was lost in a morning! Hence the panic gunnii purchase.

But we start from where we are -as they say. You can't expect to make it all private, so perhaps before you "tree up" it may be an idea to identify one small area that you could make private. I had been thinking about this - maybe top terrace middle (barbeque of next door on r and seating on l, therefore middle = furthest away!) I've been looking at lattice woodwork - which gives much greater privacy than trellis. Essentially a bit of a lattice sort of hideaway/arbour - lattice front and end and lattice gate the other. Am just off to scan a few pictures of ideas for you.

Dog kennel - enough room there for a Juniper 'Skyrocket' or Prunus 'Amanogawa', even a fastigiate beech (fagus) which would keep it's leaves over the winter, although not evergreen. Will put a few photos in the album (tomorrow) of the ones I've got to give you an idea.

Thinking caps on. Back soon.
The next "Big Issue" seller.

Your a star, thanks for the help, yes lattice work could work, have thought about that.

Top terace on the left will be a shed, and on the right will be decking (not sure when)

So want like to get the trees in first so i can work around them if you get me :)

I look forward to the pics...

Get you. Perhaps once established where "sitting spot"/ "private spot" may be, tree location/choice can be as accurate as poss. What's the path of the sun?

Will upload variety of images to album on arbours etc - could pic n mix bits to design your own in the longer term. Rome wasn't built ... (Upload dicky - have to change file types - talk amongst yourselves.)

The sun more or less goes from right to left from the pics, so top left get the sun first

Any of the trees you mention would do the trick. The thing is to get a professional in to high prune/coppice them once they approach fence height, that will give you the horizontal spread you want.

This is a long term plan - think 5-10 years. esp with trees like sessile oak.

Eucal.. is super quick growing and responds well to hard coppicing/high pruning.

If you dont mind me asking - how much did you pay for your split logs per metre?

Good to see forestboy joining in with new ideas.

Have now posted pics to arbour album.

Any guidance on what garden will be used for in order to establish what can go where? Sitting, children - no/age, guests, parties, skulking about, relaxing, dog, ornamental/practical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back