Need some help choosing trees

http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/46543-pittasporum/genus/Pittosporum

this one has been shaped a little to form a column,
they withstand pruning and shaping and will regrow from old wood.

The usual variety will form a small evergreen conical shaped tree if you let it, but normally they are large shrubs clothed with foliage right to the ground.

There are several varieties to choose from but are a little slower, but not much, than the species type.
'Warnham Gold' is a gorgeous butter yellow in winter changing to pale green in summer.

The flowers are inconspicuous and you often don't know it's in flower until you scent the air - in the evening and then you notice it's a mass of tiny chocolate coloured flowers.

They all thrive in heavy clay soil with good rainfall.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a Pittosporum garnettii in my garden. This is a nice variegated variety which I unfortunately found wasn't frost hardy in its first year. It suffered a lot of top damage but started to recover in the second year and its been fine since.

Just letting you know in case you choose one.

Sponsored Links
Have a good time shopping :D . Hope you've had a productive week thinking and looking. If you buy five things, only 100 steps to lug them up! Phew.

We're all looking forward to hearing what happens next - well I am.

(Thanks for roses info - realise now I got it wrong 14 times - far smaller than I thought.)

Thanks mate, your really keeping me going on this! My daughter wants an apple tree (as they did them in school this week), so going to get one of those (sucker i know), any idea what kind, if there are different types?

Think I'm going psychic or funny in the head. I was going to suggest you bought an apple tree for your children. (see album - I started young!) When I was little, I used to love coming home from school and going in the garden and picking an apple off the tree. Your children will have such happy memories of all the work you've put in to make them a lovely garden and plant them their own apple tree.

The best apple tree we had was Cox's Orange Pippin - sweet, juicy and not too big for little hands. Could be kept to the right size for your garden and lovely blossom in the spring.

Righty then :)

Been out looking the last few weekends. I saw a 25 year old gunni and it looked like 150 year old tree it was humungous LoL.

Anyway, a local nursery i have been going o has helped me out - very helpfull and will do free delivery :)

So i have order 2 x Pittosporum Tenuifolium - golden one.

And i think i am going to get 4 x Red Robin trees - lovely colours and all year evergreen leaves and only grows to around 12ft, so ideal. Any experience of these?

I will get some alpine snow eucalyptus trees, but will have to order them as no local companies seems to do them??

The only things I would put in a garden that size are perhaps a hazel or two at the far end against the fence, with primroses underneath, and heavily trained fruit trees for the rest of the positions. If you want some shade, a standard apple tree of some type could go in the middle of the plot, but it will take years to grow. That's the nature of growing, nothing worth having grows quickly. Think in terms of 15 to 20 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back