Need some in-depth info regarding wired vs wireless stats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have quite a few questions regarding wired vs wireless thermostats, and how a wireless one would actually work with an existing system.

I currently have an old wired analogue thermostat in my hall, which opens directly into my long kitchen, with no door between the 2 rooms.

I've read conflicting opinions on locations for having a thermostat wired; some suggest to have it in the room that needs to be warmest (for example in my case it would be the living room or bedroom), and others say to have it somewhere cold and that the hall is ideal.

1) What is the consensus on this? Is there a proper, professional absolute recommendation?

I've also read that you can't have a thermostat in the same room as a rad with a TRV.

2) How is this supposed to work? Especially with a wireless stat that you can take anywhere you need the heat?

3) I thought every room apart from the bathroom is best to have a TRV installed?

4) If the stat must be in a room with a TRV, is it best to have the TRV set to its highest setting to get the proper use out of the stat?

5) Would the wireless stat try and bring every room up to the temperature I’ve set for one room, unless I've set other room's TRVs accordingly?

I can't find anywhere a decent article or list of wireless vs wired thermostats; or for that matter, Nest vs. wireless.

6) I know Nest is supposed to be "smart", but isn't a wireless stat's main advantage that you can have it in any room? Wouldn't this make it better than a fixed stat in any case?

7) What are the biggest downsides to a wireless system?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The room thermostat will switch off all of the radiators in the house when the set temperature is reached in the room in which it is located. Therefore, it should be in the last room to get warm. Understand this concept and you will be able to work out the best location for your home.

Because properties are different in use, orientation, construction size etc., it's not possible to say your thermostat should be located here or there. But consider the following.

Do not locate the thermostat in a room where it will be subject to other heat sources such as cooking appliances, used fireplaces, or sunlight. Any extra heat that warms up the room where the thermostat is located, will switch off the thermostat, and all of the radiators in the rest of the property.

It should be located in an open space to allow air to circulate freely around it so that it senses the true ambient temperature of the room in which it is located, not stuck in a corner, behind curtains or furniture, or subject to drafts.

Do not fit a TRV to the radiator in the room where the thermostat is located. if you do, it could turn off the radiator before the temperature set on the room thermostat is reached. In this event, the room thermostat will never turn off, and so there is no point in having it. [Some will fit a TRV, and either remove the sensor head or leave it set on maximum, but at some point no doubt someone would turn it down, so personally I would not fit one in the first place]

Fit TRV's to all other radiators to prevent the other rooms overheating

Ideally it should be in a place that is the last room to warm up, so that the radiators remain 'on' in all of the other rooms first to allow them to heat up before the main thermostat starts turning the whole system off. You may have to downsize the radiator in the room where it is located to achieve this.

The advantage of wireless. With a wired thermostat the ideal position for the thermostat may involve a long cable being run out to, but wireless has a receiver that can be located at a place convenient for the wiring and the remote thermostat can be positioned in the best place but doesn't need a cable to it.

Wow, that's a better response than I could have hoped for, and probably more than I deserved! This information is really going to help me a lot, as I'm in the process of decorating my hall and in 2 minds as to what I should do regarding the current location of the thermostat and upgrading.

I originally thought it'd be best to drill straight through and have it in my living room, but then it's sitting by the door frame where the door is constantly open, and perpendicular to a bit of wall that makes up the archway between the living and dining room. There's constantly sun in the living room during the summer months and I have an open fire I get going in the winter, so perhaps it's best I keep it where it is.

In your opinion, would you go for a wireless system or a hi-tech wired system like the Nest?

Personally, I would go for wired thermostat every time, but I understand that there maybe circumstances that running the wires out to a difficult location would make a wireless advantageous.

With a wireless stat you can move it around and try different locations, but usually the most suitable position can be determined without having to do that.

I don't really know enough about the Hi-tech versions to comment, but once they've been around for awhile and some actual data from users is available I might consider one. They don't control the temperature of your home more accurately but have extra features such as lowering the temperature when you're out and allowing remote control.

Sponsored Links
Well from what you've described, my hall is already the ideal location; it's the last room to get warm and I'll check that the rad doesn't have a TRV on it.

To me then it sounds like a no-brainer in terms of going for a wired thermostat, and just update the old one I already have. Here was me originally thinking I was going wireless and there was a very low chance I'd change my stance.

Thanks a lot for your input, it's really valued and helped put things into perspective for me.

You can take the Nest anywhere you like in the house as long as you can plug its power supply in to the mains somewhere.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back