Need someone to help us to decide what to do with kitchen/dining room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I wonder if you could give some advice.

We have a 1930s house that is mostly as we want it to be but the kitchen and dining room is not. The kitchen area could be fine but the dining area is not as big as we want it to be. We have several ideas, including extending but I really don’t want to do that, I want to make the most of what we have, plus the other ideas of altering the layout of downstairs, I prefer.

We could really do with someone spending time with us for an hour or so just to give us some advice on what we can actually do and what would be best for us. I don’t want this stage to cost too much as we have some hefty expenditure actually doing the work. Is this something an architect would do or is there some other person that is qualified to do this kind of task. We don’t necessarily need plans drawn at this stage. We have found a structural engineer who would do that for us, we just need someone to tell us what, if any of our plans would work best for us. Me and my other half have spent months talking about this and we can’t seem to get anywhere and I have had enough to be honest!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We have found a structural engineer who would do that for us, we just need someone to tell us what, if any of our plans would work best for us. Me and my other half have spent months talking about this and we can’t seem to get anywhere and I have had enough to be honest!

A good starting point, if you have neighbours with similar houses, is to see what (if anything) they have done in the way of improvements to the layout.

Try a Architectural Technician or interior designer or a more expensive Architect if your like, as not everyone who draws plans can advise on internal layouts with any competence. You just need to be clear with them on what you are expecting.

Structural engineers certainly can't design with any flare or imagination or even in accordance with planning rules, but the steel beams should be strong enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back