Location of rooflights in flat room over kitchen / dining area...

I would never do that that, one will be enough, also if yo need to prop a ladder against the wall or do some work to the wall then the lanterns will be in the way.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind the upstands to the roof lights will be around 350 to 400mm if a warm roof, so a single lantern might look better.
Yes, definitely just a single lantern. I'm just not sure how big, where to locate, and which orientation!

Yeah, and look a lot taller from within....

Those eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed I used 50mm timbers for the upstand uprights so that I could add another 25mm to face of the internal uprights (as well as stuff between the uprights) so as to help with the thermal resistance.
Nice. I'll be copying this insulation detail....

Sponsored Links
I'm just not sure how big,
get prices of sizes and decide from that. Perhaps they exist on shelf sizes as well as bespoke (like velux do) and are cheaper

For suppliers, I'd contact Architectural Products Limited and ask if they do them; they were great value for money for the roof windows I needed during my build

Also, if you're looking to save money, a lantern seems a bit crazy compared to a flat pane of glass, I think; they're more to make, a lot of engineering and have a higher surface area (lose more heat) than a flat sheet..

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back