Need to cover all fibre glass in used attic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just floorboarded the main sections of an attic to be used as a spare room. Do I need to cover all exposed fibre glass in the shallow roofed sections where it won't be touched to avoid particles of it floating into the air and causing coughing?

Sponsored Links
Are you intending to construct walls along the sides of the new room? If so then no, no need to cover the exposed insulation in "shallow2 areas.

Ken.

Should have said, it's my room and I intend to use some of the areas as long term storage and just leave the others if no need to cover fibre glass.

depends what sort it is. The fibres do not dissolve or decompose, so I presume that once they have entered your respiratory system, they will not get out.

I have had breathing difficulties and coughing from the old yellow fibreglass, and a builder friend told me of a older colleague who suffered very serious effects. I now use only the brown mineral wool treated with Ecose, which prevents it shedding irritant dust and fibres.

It is made by Knauf, but widely sold as an own-brand in DIY sheds and merchants. "Ecose" will be printed on the wrapper.

If I had yellow fibreglass anywhere in my own house, I would clean it out. I would not go into a room with the exposed fibres without a mask, and preferably not at all.

Sponsored Links
Must admit, this form of Insulation has not been on my "radar" as being a respiratory problem causer ?

It appears very low when compared to [say] Asbestos?

Just done a [very] quick check on this stuff H&Safety site states.

Loft insulation
7. In the past, there has been some concern about the possible risk to householders arising from the presence of MMMF loft insulation, usually in the form of mineral wool. In 1987, the DoE undertook work to collect data to establish the extent of householders' exposure to MMMF from this source, and it then asked the Department of Health's Committee on the Carcinogenicity in Food, Consumer Products and the Environment (COC) to review the evidence. On completion of the COC's work, the Secretary of State for the Environment made a statement in the House of Commons and issued a Press Release dated 1 December 1987 recording the COC's assessment of the risk to health from MMMF loft insulation, DIY installation and subsequent disturbance. As a result of the COC's work, the DoE Press Release was able to reassure householders that they need not be concerned about the presence of MMMF in their lofts, about installing it themselves or about doing DIY work in lofts insulated with MMMF. However, it recommended use of an appropriate mask for installation work, ie one conforming to BS 6016 or BS 2091 (see para 15), and the use of gloves when handling the material to avoid skin irritation.

8. More recently, the HSE has undertaken studies to determine fibre levels arising from the presence of MMMF loft insulation in UK dwellings. The results from these studies have also been assessed by the COC who again concluded that the MMMF in the lofts of dwellings presented no significant hazard to householders.

9. Inspectors are reminded that during 1988/89, SPNs were made to contractors installing MMMF loft insulation to promote observance of the (then) gravimetric Control Limit, and to monitor dust levels produced by the work. The results of the exercise and implications for inspectors are set out in OC 267/1

There is no information on the above on the Cancer UK web site.

If it were me, I would add a non irritant insulation on top of the present Glass wool??

Ken.

It appears very low when compared to [say] Asbestos?

I haven't had lung cancer, but I have had dust-related breathing difficulties, and I find the dust and fibres very irritant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back