turning my garage into study room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need and advice pls.
i've got a garage that is built in brick and need to turn it into a proper study room, my intention is to run a piece of 2x3 timber on the inside brick (4sidewall) as a form of stud and use a 3inches fibre to insulate it and then cover it with foiled plaster board and plaster it @ the same time.
the heating system will be electric( panel radiators 2kw).
ceiling: thinking of using the same 3inch fibre to insulate the ceiling as well, the existing ceiling is proper flat roof with open joist inside, thinking of covering it with plaster board and skim it .
please can anyone advice me if anything is wrong with all these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
will

Sponsored Links
Consult your local BCO, I think there are certain regs for the conversion of garages into living spaces, especially if its joined to the house.

just a few points-

the 75mm fibreglass would need to be changed to celotex and a vertical dpm provided to the walls

the 75mm fibreglass in the roof would need to be changed to celotex and doubled in thickness.

the roof will need to be properly ventilated (eg 50mm soffit strips on opposing sides with 50mm minimum between the top of the insulation and the bottom of the roof covering)

the floor will need a dpm and insulating - 70 mm celotex

an escape window may be needed

foundations to the wall to block up the garage door would be needed

Theres lots more to take into account - best too see your local bco or have a designer or builder who knows what they are doing have a look at what youve got and what youd need to do to bring it up to regs

i am currently planning a rear extension that will butt upto my existing garage in my back garden. if you are converting it from a garage you will need to be careful what you say you are convertin it to or you may need planning or building control approval....

not sure what you have to say it is??? anyone know???

a utility room? workshop?

Sponsored Links
if you're converting to dwelling, then you have to have a building notice or building regs. it will become a planning issue if you are increasing the size of dwelling capacity (if a property has already been extended it may have already reached its capacity).type of roof and neighbour intrusion is also subject to those funny little people at planning!

Or you could screw the door shut, and brick up behind it so no-one knows -like I`ve done @ home :eek: No probs for me .I leave this house feet first. :eek: let the kids sort out the BCO, Inland Revenue, County Court. etc.....**** em all :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back