Need to drill small holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Task to drill 400 holes.
about 100 of them are 0.03" (~0.75mm) and another 100 are 0.04" (~1.0mm)
My DeWalt cordless is a bit heavy to use for this task, and will not close down on 1-.0mm or lower.
I thought to use a pin chuck .... tried 2 from Amazon, but they simply don't run true (they were 1/4" hex fitting) ... think it need to be a collet not a jawed chuck.
... any suggestions on a good pin chuck.

The alternative would be to buy a Dremel equivalent - again any suggestions one review praised this model above Dremel

Sponsored Links
What are you drilling in to?

Assuming that it is a thin material, I think a snide Dremel might be the better option.

5mm Foamex sheet .... so PVC face and foamed core .... not hard material
What is a 'snide Dremel' is that a particular model ?

Sponsored Links
5mm Foamex sheet .... so PVC face and foamed core .... not hard material
What is a 'snide Dremel' is that a particular model ?

By snide, I was referring to a Dremel type tool, and not a specific brand.

I am a wondering if a hand drill might suffice, mind you a decent one might be as expensive as the product that you linked to.

I have 2 hand drills - this type : bought before battery drills arrived
drill.jpg

Far better to look for a British or American made double pinnion hand drill such as a (second hand) Stanley 803, but not sure how small a drill they will hold. The best mid market pin chucks were Eclipse at one time, although a decent engineering supply company such as RDG in Mytholmroyd
W Yorkshire should be able to supply an affordable reasonable facsimile model. Most cordless drill chucks have far too much run out - the only good ones are generally the top of the line trade models which have an all metal gearbox and a high quality all metal chuck to match it - not cheap! Example: Makita DHP481

Last edited by a moderator:
panel pin with a .75mm shank will have about a 1.5-2.mm head on it so fit a 8 and possibly a 13mm chuck if greater than 2mm
just make sure its properly centred and tight to avoid chatter oversizing the hole or dancing across the face

Last edited:
But as they are brittle you need to watch the runout of any drill you use

I assume it matters where the holes are? i.e. they're on a grid of some sort, or make a specific pattern?

Good luck retaining your sanity getting 400 holes in the right places by hand.

It’s a plastic sheet (Foamex) that will have 400 light fibres (4 different diameters) fed from an LED light engine.
it is to give a ‘starry sky’ effect.
The light engine has a revolving ‘twinkle’ wheel, and can move from white to any RGB mix.
Programmed ripple effects etc.

So no plan or grid, what I will do is dot the back with positional dots where I need to drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back