United Kingdom
I have a vertical blind to fit inside our lounge window,
but the inside top of the window i think it;s called the header
Runs off level by 18mm on the right hand side;
As the vertical blind needs screwing to the header
it would leave an 18mm gap at one end,

I need to fill this 18mm gap but we have double glazing installed
and there is a 25 mm beading all round the window
this makes it difficult to fill in all the 18mm as then the beading would be covered,
I need to fill in up to were the screws will hold the blind rail
and then taper the plaster filling back till it is level with the beading,

My Questions are
(A) What is the best material to do this job and
(B) how do i set about doing this
:D

Sponsored Links
are the windows frames and sills level!!!!!

if the blind is level and nowt else it wont look right :rolleyes:

Yes the frame and sill is level
Its the header that runs of at one end by 18mm
I need to fill this 18mm gap but we have double glazing installed
and there is a 25 mm beading all round the window
this makes it difficult to fill in all the 18mm as then the beading would be covered,
I need to fill in up to were the screws will hold the blind rail
and then taper the plaster filling back till it is level with the beading,
is there a easy way to level the header
not v good with plastering

18mm is quiet a run off! The beading is usually stuck on with silicone & should come off without too much trouble so you could remove this, true up the header & then replace after. Presumably, the frame has been made to fit the opening so levelling the header by that amount will make it out of square with the frame – it’ll look very strange! You could try a spacer one end but, again, that’s going to make the blind look out of square with the frame. Have you though about fitting a larger blind over the outside of the window reveal rather than inside?

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
18mm is quiet a run off! The beading is usually stuck on with silicone & should come off without too much trouble so you could remove this, true up the header & then replace after. Presumably, the frame has been made to fit the opening so levelling the header by that amount will make it out of square with the frame – it’ll look very strange! You could try a spacer one end but, again, that’s going to make the blind look out of square with the frame. Have you though about fitting a larger blind over the outside of the window reveal rather than inside?

The beading was stuck on with super glue by the glazing company,
all our other vertical blinds are internal
I was going to level from the front of the header back to were the
vertical blind screws up to on the header,
then gradually taper back to the level off the beading,

Can I use Bonding for levelling ?
thanks.

microbar said:

That's unusual, why on earth did they do that!

You can use bonding but don’t try & build the total thickness in one hit, build it up in 3 coats, leaving each to go off (but not dry out) before applying the next. You will need a light finishing skim as bonding has a fairly rough finish. A trick you can use to build up an area is to use strips of plasterboard as a base & plaster over this but this may be tricky with a taper; still not sure how it’s going to look though!

Richard C said:
microbar said:

You can use bonding but don’t try & build the total thickness in one hit, build it up in 3 coats, leaving each to go off (but not dry out) before applying the next. You will need a light finishing skim as bonding has a fairly rough finish. A trick you can use to build up an area is to use strips of plasterboard as a base & plaster over this but this may be tricky with a taper; still not sure how it’s going to look though!

Thanks richard will give it my best shot,
building up with plaster board seems a good idea thanks again.

Richard C said:
microbar said:

!
not that unusual , I`m afraid :cry: and the beading usually breaks when removing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back