Need to lose back boiler but can't have a flue! Ideas opinions pls

I am looking into what's available regarding a replacement but can't see any standard efficiency. Even pumped the condensate would be tricky, certainly be floors all up. Very long liner isn't going to come cheap either.

Whats the story with "heat only" back boilers that seem to be on the go that are meant to be a replacement, I take it they won't heat your water?

Sponsored Links
One of the difficulties renting is not being able to anticipate how much of a deal breaker a bath will be, or indeed even a good mixer shower v's an electric.

A small one-bedroom flat in a city will probably appeal to the 'young professional'. Shower-only not a problem. A combi would be better but in a small flat electric-only won't be too much of a drawback especially in a city where accommodation is sought-after. Go for a 10kW electric shower from a good brand, with a nice enclosure (no clingy curtains). A heated mirror is a nice touch and they're not expensive nowadays.

Either put an electric firefront in the lounge, or box out the builder's opening to make a feature recess with a bowl of pebbles in it.

A small one-bedroom flat in a city will probably appeal to the 'young professional'. Shower-only not a problem. A combi would be better but in a small flat electric-only won't be too much of a drawback especially in a city where accommodation is sought-after. Go for a 10kW electric shower from a good brand, with a nice enclosure (no clingy curtains). A heated mirror is a nice touch and they're not expensive nowadays.

Either put an electric firefront in the lounge, or box out the builder's opening to make a feature recess with a bowl of pebbles in it.

I think you're probably right. This would save having to have a big water cylinder which would be a help too

Can anyone explain seemingly being "heat only" replacement back boilers?

Sponsored Links
Heat only will need a cylinder and external components.

Yes, but why won't the new back boilers heat your water too like the old ones? Seems the newer ones are heat only. Baxi seem to have actually stopped making their one from what I can gather. They said to my father to check merchants for stock

Yes, but why won't the new back boilers heat your water too like the old ones? Seems the newer ones are heat only. Baxi seem to have actually stopped making their one from what I can gather. They said to my father to check merchants for stock

I don't make them!

I thought the old back boilers were heat only too?

Aha. interesting! I assumed the water was in some way getting heated and passed to a/the storage tank but I could easily be mistaken on that. I could have a normal emmersion!

"Heat Only" boilers are boilers that don't contain a pump or a sealed system kit. They're also known as Open Vent, or Regular, boilers. With the correct control setup they will heat your hot water as well as your radiators. Your old back boiler (BBU) was indeed Heat Only, but almost certainly heated your water as well as your radiators.

The now discontinued "new" Baxi BBU was designed as a replacement for the old ones, but was still a high-efficiency condensing model which contained a pump to get rid of the condensate, so you'd still needed to find a drain to run this to. They were discontinued about 18 months ago so any you might happen to find for sale online now have been kicking around in a warehouse for a considerable amount of time. Better off to get something in current production, be it a regular gas, combi gas (both requiring a way of getting condensate out) or an electric boiler of some description if your power supply is up to it

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back