Need to paint freshly plastered walls and plasterboard - which paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I am doing my first refurb and am at a stage now where I am ready to paint. The walls were plastered a month ago and are fairly dry.

I have some paint I like (an off white colour), I have a small tin sample from a very expensive paint company called Farrow & Ball (won't be buying from there, prices are ridiculous).

I would be happy to find something close to this, how do I go about this? Do I pop down to my nearest Dulux or Crown Decorating Centre and ask them to whizz something up that will match the colour I like? Is there a specific paint I need to go for?

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
As a first coat on new plaster it needs to be a thinned down mist coat. This is best using a contract matt like Crown, Leyland etc. Its very cheap to buy. When you have done that, fill anywhere that needs it and lightly sand the walls down. Then apply as many coats as you need of your chosen paint in the finish you want, Matt. Satin or Silk. The colour you want can be mixed by Dulux or Valspar, or Crown if you have a colour sample to show them.

Thanks Robbie. I bought some Leyland Contract matt (£11 per 10 litre tub from Selco) and slightly watered it down before application, it has dried, will be sanding and filling today.

Sponsored Links
I used this stuff on newly plastered walls and also on new plasterboard as a base before painting my (the wife's) colour of choice.

Done a fair bit of decorating and will always use this from now on as a base. It seems to give a flawless finish. Used it on an old plastered wall that I had to fill a lot of small holes on and the finish was amazing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170207-085234.png
    Screenshot_20170207-085234.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 117

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back