Need to put up a Light in the bedroom.

Hi all, i am in the same sitatuon as new2 however my ceiling rose is located downstairs in the living room and i cant get easy access to the wiring as its under floor boards in the main bedroom. My solution therfore sounds like i have to go down the choc block route. Can anyone confirm that these are just the plastic 15a terminal blocks? Do i need to enclose this in the "choc box" that you can buy or like the wiki advises, wrap up in insulation tape? To me that sounds a bit strange. The hole in the ceiling where the 3 wires come out is not big enough for me to use a choc box, so i will have to use the terminal blocks alone. Do i need to enclose these somehow or can i simply place them once all wired up into the new light fittings metal rose as its got a little space?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Do i need to enclose these somehow or can i simply place them once all wired up into the new light fittings metal rose as its got a little space?
Many thanks!

Yes follow the wiki instructions and leave them inside the new light fitting.
Use 15Amp terminal blocks.

Since its metal I assume you have an earth at the old ceiling rose.

Thanks for a quick reply. Do i still need to wrap up the separate terminal block with the 3 lives in insulation tape? The existing fitting has 3x earth wires so as per the wiki, i am guessing i wire to a terminal block and then connect the new lights earth to this? Just out of curiosity, if i called a sparky would they do the same thing or would they have to lift floorboards in the room above and fit a junction box so only a single t&e fed the fitting?

Thanks

no, don't use tape, it falls off after a while. You can get a little plastic enclosure called choc-box made for the job.

Strip the cores and trim so there is no bare wire visible outside the chocblock terminals.

Sponsored Links
Thanks johnD. The only choc boxes i can find are huge and wont fit in the light fittings metal rose. Ive searched wickes and homebase for this, aby ideas where else i can look please? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for a quick reply. Do i still need to wrap up the separate terminal block with the 3 lives in insulation tape? The existing fitting has 3x earth wires so as per the wiki, i am guessing i wire to a terminal block and then connect the new lights earth to this?
You don't need a chocbox, as I said just leave the terminal blocks inside the light cover. The main purpose of a chocbox is to provide support for the cable - since this fitting will be fitted directly to the ceiling it is not required.
Connect the earth as you suggested.

Just out of curiosity, if i called a sparky would they do the same thing or would they have to lift floorboards in the room above and fit a junction box so only a single t&e fed the fitting?
Thanks
They could but they would be charging you for something that you don't need.

Ok thanks for that. Shall i still wrap the separate terminal connector with the 3 lives in insulation tape? Just thinking about what JohnD mentioned.Thanks for all the advice.

No point, but if you want to wrap it get some self-amalgamating tape.

It becomes like one piece of rubber after a short time.

Just letting everyone know.

The light went up a treat!
And completely working :)

Thanks all again, you are lifesavers!

Do i need to enclose this in the "choc box" that you can buy or like the wiki advises, wrap up in insulation tape?

t320852.jpg

:rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for pointing that out but that is part of the issue i am having. I do not have any room to use a choc box as it cant go into the ceiling void witouht hacking away a huge hole, or into the light fittings metal rose fixture
as its too small. Im just getting confused with the conflicting information. The question is to tape or not to tape the live terminal block? If i dont tape then i fear the risk is that the terminal block containing the 3x lives could come into contact with the metal light fitting and therefore pose a safety risk. If i tape then ive been told this unwravels itself. Any advice to clear this up would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Choc-block screws are shrouded, properly done there'll be no exposed copper on the conductors - there's nothing to contact the metal of the fitting, and even if there were the RCD or MCB would trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back