Need to remove toilet temporarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I need to temporarily remove the toilet. I have been watching videos and noticed a lot of people remove the tank from the bowl. Is this necessary? I know it isn't if you are just planninging to throw it away, but I'm planning to just use a brand-new wax ring and just reseat it. Will I have problems seating it and leveling it if I do not remove the tank?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it’s what over here is called a close coupled, then you don’t need to remove the cistern (tank), also you might not need a new sealing ring either.

If the tank is attached to the seat then the least you will need to do is disconnect the plumbing and unscrew the tank from the wall if you want to keep them both together (also empty the tank).

Then you should be able to simply remove both.

It seems your toilets are somewhat different to ours, ours has the soil exit out back through the wall whereas US ones seem to go through the floor using a wax ring as you suggest.
So you may be in the wrong place to ask about this subject, a US/Canadian based site may be better for you.

Presuming you are in good health and average fitness lifting the pan & tank is doable for most adults.

Before anything put a spirit level both ways across the top of the porcelain pan to check for level.
Does the pan wobble or move?
Is the floor swollen or wet around the pan?

Its then a matter of simply isolating the water supply - flushing the WC - removing the tank lid
and removing the bolt nuts from the base of the pan.
You can use a wet/dry vac or a sponge to totally empty the water remaining in the pan.
Straddle the pan, and remove both pan and tank together as you lift up and off the soil pipe flange.
Clean off any old wax ring, & supply a new wax ring and bolts (or pan screws).
Set the bolts & wax ring in position, and straddle, lift & drop the WC pan and tank (together) onto the wax ring and bolts.
Before nipping up the bolts - sit on the pan to settle it & then check across with the spirit level.

If the metal flange is broken or loose or looks unusual or if the floor is water damaged then come back here with a pic.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back