need to tighten packing nut on rad tail

Sponsored Links
If you mean the plastic stop nut ( rather bolt as its male ) then its only for storage and transport and needs to be replaced with a metal equivalent.

If you have spoilt it the water pump pliars should remove it.

Tony

If domehead then hacksaw a groove in it.
Lord knows why anyone wanted to tighten it to the the extent of wearing the thing out :confused:

Sponsored Links
not really domed head, more a flat screw, that just wont budge!!!

ive turned it down again instead of fully on, and seems to have stopped weeping

????

You need to get hold of that screw head one way or another, if you going to change the top as suggested, get rid of the plastic, then you should have better access to the screw.

As libby says. Crack the plastic off with pliers since it's only decorative anyway.

Just fit new lockshield valves !!!!! easy and inexpensive.

thats what im saying i cant get at the nut under neath as the screw holding the cap on ii am just rounded off?

And what we're saying is to break the plastic cover off.

Use a junior hacksaw to cut through the plastic cover - if you break through and feel the blade hit something more solid don't worry, just saw somewhere else.
Eventually the cap will be weakened enough for you to peel it away with some pliers......a series of cuts around the screw will soon have the cap off, and allow you to undo the screw with some pliers, if you need to by then.
John :)

thanks all,

after tweaking it a bit all seems ok, but least i have no problems if i need to take them off.. thanks all

all stars!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back