Need two zone heating system upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm just about to embark on adding a new zone to my central heating system. At the moment I am servicing my flat with my boiler and a honeywell wireless thermostat.

I'm just finishing off a new flat in the front of my building which will be used less than the main flat.

What I'd like to do now is add that new flat to the central heating system, but I want it to be able to independently control its own heating. So I want two thermostats, one for each flat. Plus I understand I will need some mechanical valves. There is a small problem that is one of the rads on the main home is on the way to the new flat (I'll try and up load a drawing if requested). This basically means I don't have a natural tee point, unless I re-plumb this outrigger rad.

I saw this kit http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-smartfit-7-day-s-plan-heating-pack/81398 which has two actuators, so maybe this will work for what I need? only problem I can see it only has one thermostat.

Can anyone suggest I product or set of products that I could get to achieve this, I'm sure its pretty standard practice.

Image:
jjjH4XW.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Drawing please as your description makes no sense.

Do wish people would stop making up terminology :LOL:

Products in that link are long obsolete anyway.

Plus that is an S plan.

Not S plan Plus.

Which is what you want.

Evohome - or two single zone thermostats and an RF Gateway would fit the bill control wise.

Sponsored Links
yeah I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, the pipes currently go round a very complex area in the house.

To be honest that one radiator is in a bathroom so I'm not that worried if it comes on with both zones.

could I just install two values just after the obvious T junctions and let that one rad work on both Zones?

Sorry these might appear silly questions but at the moment I've no idea of the way these zone valves work.

Look at Evohome then.

Zone valve work by valving off zones automatically by command of a timer/thermostat/programmable thermostat.

These valves have to be in a space where they are serviceable - putting them under the floor is not a good idea.

Look at Evohome then.

Zone valve work by valving off zones automatically by command of a timer/thermostat/programmable thermostat.

These valves have to be in a space where they are serviceable - putting them under the floor is not a good idea.

Yeah thats going to be ok, well not ideal but I will put in some inspection hatches.
thanks for your info so far.

As I already have a wireless thermostat, do I just need to buy the valves and another wireless thermostat. I'm thinking the clever wiring all happens from the boiler and wireless receiver? do I need a special receiver?

I want to avoid the Evohome as its appears to be a simple but expensive solution. and as my place is very long I think RF will be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back