Needing help for glass/perspex paneling around bath please??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We are doing up our bathroom at the mo, on a really tight (and very low) budget. My girlfriend and I both really dislike tiles in a bathroom and actually both really like the idea of perspex or glass paneling around the shower/bath instead. much like these pics of which I believe are mermaid glass panels but we need to do it as cheaply as poss:

We are complete amateur DIYers though so we are looking for some advice on what materials we can use for this effect, where we can get it at a reasonable price, how to best fix to wall and any other useful info you can give us if you have done this yourself.

We will need approx. 10' by 7' of panels to do around the bath but I can get more precise measurements if necessary but we really just want to know where to start looking.

Also if anyone could post a link to any threads regarding beginners guide on how to logically go about ripping out old bathroom and installing/re-decorating new one that would be super.

Any help would be brilliant, thanks in advance! :D

Sponsored Links
I can't point you to a supplier but i'm sure others will. Its worth saying though that if your main aim is to save money then you may be on the wrong path.

Glass or good quality panels are usually as expensive or dearer than tiles. glass has to be hardened safety glass so is expensive as its custom made to fit.

You can get cheap pvc panels but you really really dont want to go there!

My usual schedule (subject to change depending on job)
Rip out old suite and tiles.
Pipework to new positions/Electrics if needed
Repair wall/plaster any other repairs
Paint ceiling
Tile floor
Fit bath to correct height for panel
Tile walls
2nd fix WC sink etc
Mastic

Thats a basic schedule for you to work from. Electrics should be Part P Electrician. As for fitting them glass panels i'd recommend getting a pro to do it.

Sponsored Links
My usual schedule (subject to change depending on job)
Rip out old suite and tiles.
Pipework to new positions/Electrics if needed
Repair wall/plaster any other repairs
Paint ceiling
Tile floor
Fit bath to correct height for panel
Tile walls
2nd fix WC sink etc
Mastic

Thats a basic schedule for you to work from. Electrics should be Part P Electrician. As for fitting them glass panels i'd recommend getting a pro to do it.

Brilliant thanks for this, can I just ask where in this schedule would you look at replacing an old radiator with a wall mounted towel holder type?

pipework to new positions :LOL:

2nd fix rad/towle rail on once you have done your tiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back