Neff Gas Hob lifting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was actually reading a thread on the DIY Disasters section when I came across somebody saying that a hob should be fitted with the manufacturers supplied fittings and not a bead of silicone.

Made me wonder - does anyone know what Neff supply for fitting a gas hob?

I pulled off the knobs the other week when I was cleaning it and the whole hob lifted up off the worktop. On closer (gentle) inspection, there just seems to be a strip of black spongey stuff under the hob which doesn't seem to be doing anything to hold it down.

And I take it that my hob lifting clean off the worktop isn't a good thing?

Sponsored Links
what you have seen is the sealing tape which goes between the hob and worktop, it should be secured to the worktop by small plates or brackets which screw into the hob and clip under the worktop to hold it down

Thank you. I've managed to find a spare parts list and installation manual online and both mention clips.

Is it dangerous/illegal then not to have the hob secured? I'll need to go back and kick up hell with the installers. I did tell him that it was lifting when it first happened and he told me to run silicone round it (which I haven't done).

Anybody know the legalities of an unsecured gas hob before I go back to the kitchen place and start ranting and raging? :D

Sponsored Links
Does not matter about legalities or not or whether it is a gas or electric hob.

The hob should be secured properly to the work top (thats why you paid for installation or were given it for free)

If not sealed and secured properly moisture from spills/cleaning can get under the worktop into the cavity under the hob

If you have a chipboard type worktop damp will cause it to swell lifting the hob.

Not a very professional job (mind you some of these can be right pigs to fit but I have never left one not clipped in even if I have had to make new brackets for it)

Thanks for that. I'll go and moan at them tomorrow. I had told him about it before but he said that I must've bust the seal when I pulled the knobs off to clean it (???) and I was just to run silicone round it - I didn't do that cos I didn't pay him to do a job to end up doing it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back