NEFF Microwave Combi stopped on XMAS Day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst hard at work cooking our combi just died, its less than a year old. I am guessing that the fuse went. But what complicates this is that the power switch that controls power to the unit which is in the utility room will not turn off anymore i.e. its just stuck on the ON position. Any idea what happened here? Should I call out the NEFF guys or will then just blame it on the switch? If it helps I was using the combi mode i.e grill and microwave so it was using max power.

Thanks
JK

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the power switch has been overloaded and failed. Have you checked the switch by removing the cover, with the power switched off of course.

Is the microwave plugged in? Can you try it in a different socket?

It sounds like the isolator switch has burnt out.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure which manufacturer that switch is from. I thought GET ultimate, but the fuse modules don't match.

You need to isolate power to the entire switch. It may well be fed by more than one circuit. If you are at all unsure, turn of your main switch before you start work.

You unscrew all the screws visible on the front plate, and this will come off. It will reveal three banks of four modules. You'll understand what I mean when you see it.

You need to unscrew the two screws for the bank of modules which your faulty switch is in. Gently pull them forwards to reveal the wiring. There should be a manufacturers name and maybe even a part number on the back of the switch.

You'll need to put the switch back together so you can get the power back on for now whilst you get the replacement switch.

I don't think that the OPs switch is a varilite switch either Pbody.

Thanks will do as suggested - why did this happen thought, shouldnt the fuse have gone instead of the switch?

It depends on how your switches are wired up. But it looks like the Combi and the oven circuits do not have fuses on that panel.
They are probably protected by the fuses either at the consumer unit, or at the appliance itself.

When you have a look at the switch, please tell us how many amps the combi switch is rated at. It may say something like 10AX or 20AX on it.

Be VERY careful if you take that panel off. It may be fed from 2 or three different separate feeds..

Yea thanks - to be honest thinking I will get an electrician in, its a newly wired house not that familiar with the circuit setup of it yet.

Nice looking panel, pitty the rhs vertical plastering ruins the clean lines.

Sounds like the oven may have been used of high load for some time and its cooked the switch.

You need to find the rating in watts for the model and make sure any new switch is rated above the appliance load max.

Maybe someone used a normal light / general switch module rather than a 20 amp which (depending on the unknown combo model number) would have been the correct unit.

Anyone working the north london area and can look at this please PM me. Thanks

Power grid maybe?

VL102SS.JPG

Your picture isn't that clear, could you have a visual at the switches on the panel and see if the switch surround plastic matches the colour of the picture above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back