Neff U1422 bottom element faulty - is it needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Neff U1422N0GB/02 oven and have a problem with the bottom element (I think). A bit of background to the problem......

Last weekend my wife decided it would be a good idea to use the Aquacleanse function, where you put some water on the bottom of the main oven and then use the function to clean. Since then, whenever we were turning the dial for the main oven past the light function (so on to 50 degrees), it would trip the RCD. The top oven and grill work fine and no tripping was experienced there.

I called Neff and they suggested doing a reset, so holding the clock button for around 10 seconds on switching on the oven, but this had no effect at all, waste of time. So I did some research and it looks like this is a common problem, and is due to either the fan element or bottom element burning out. I got hold of a multimeter and have tested both of these elements, and they tested OK. I then tried disconnecting the bottom element (after taking the oven out) and everything seems to work OK! Strange that it tested OK for impedance, but it must be causing the problem.

My question is this – is this bottom element needed, other than for the Aquacleanse function? If not, then I’d rather not spend circa £50 and more of my time to replace something that I will never use (I daren’t use this cleaning function ever again!). If I disconnect and isolate the 2 clips that would connect to the element, will this have any effect on the running of the oven? Also, any advice on safely isolating these 2 clips, other than wrapping them thoroughly in insulation tape and making sure they are well separated?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Did you check one terminal to chassis, ( ground ) ? These things break down in different ways, melt down - fully open circuit or short to ground. This fault is not due to 1st time use, lower oven heaters are installed to cook food faster and better. You need to retest and test all elements and bulbs for a short.

Update: term correction, impedence in dc is resistance. You loaned a test meter, Q. can you correctly use it ?

Last edited:
Doing a resistance test with a multimeter will probably not show up earth leakage in the element. You would need an insulation tester , Megger or such. If you have disconnected the element & the oven works ok then in all probability the insulation inside the element is indeed breaking down. Leaving it running on just the other element may well dry it out again as it seems more than a coincidence it only happened after introducing water. As you say you will, make sure you insulate all wires removed with some form of heat proof material (e.g. shrink tube ) before switching it back on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back