Neff V4380 Washer/Dryer - Grinding Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one of these old things. It's almost 25 years old but has kept going and going.

Just in the last few days though I've noticed a fairly loud whirring/grinding noise when it's on the spin cycle. Definitely a new sound and not a good one.

When I open the door and spin the drum round by hand, it turns ok but there's a very slight loose sound which I don't think I've heard before.

Main drum bearing shot? Or perhaps some other cause?

(The machine still works fine apart from the noise btw)

Can one buy replacement bearings for such an old machine? Google wasn't much help unfortunately. I can't even find the instruction manual - I've lost the original paper manual and I can't find a .pdf online either (well I did find one in French, which I could probably half-read at a push).

Is it worth trying to fix it (either on my own - I'm a decent DIY-er - or by getting a man in)? Or, realistically, should I start saving up for a new machine?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I believed it was the bearings when there was a similar sound on my dryer. Took a gamble and called out a local repair guy and he diagnosed a build up of scale. After he scraped it off it's been fine since, (different model)

I believed it was the bearings when there was a similar sound on my dryer. Took a gamble and called out a local repair guy and he diagnosed a build up of scale. After he scraped it off it's been fine since, (different model)

Thank you. I'm in a hard water area (London) and I do have quite a lot of problems with limescale. So far the washing machine has been ok, but perhaps my luck has finally run out! Might open her up soon and have a look around shortly to see what I can find. Suspect she'll die soon if I don't address this.

Is it worth trying to fix it (either on my own - I'm a decent DIY-er - or by getting a man in)? Or, realistically, should I start saving up for a new machine?

Worth getting a man in - probably not, having a go yourself - definitely. Most likely drum bearings, the most difficult job, to do on a machine, but certainly doable, and cost around £20 for bearings and new seals.

This might be what you need - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161566209601?hash=item259e18b641:g:LbAAAMXQXQxRZQMP

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Worth getting a man in - probably not, having a go yourself - definitely. Most likely drum bearings, the most difficult job, to do on a machine, but certainly doable, and cost around £20 for bearings and new seals.

This might be what you need - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161566209601?hash=item259e18b641:g:LbAAAMXQXQxRZQMP
Oooh thank you. Is there any way to verify that this is the correct item? I guess I could just message the vendor and ask. Quite happy to buy from Germany if need be.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Oooh thank you. Is there any way to verify that this is the correct item? I guess I could just message the vendor and ask. Quite happy to buy from Germany if need be.

I did a search on the model number, and that was the nearest I could find, but not exact - so ask the vendor to confirm.

I did a search on the model number, and that was the nearest I could find, but not exact - so ask the vendor to confirm.
Thank you. Have emailed them - hopefully they will be able to verify one way or the other. If I can buy these at what seems like a pretty cheap price, I'll probably have a go at doing the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back