Negative Head ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have installed a showerforce turbo 2 pump, and for some reason it takes about 4 minutes for the pump to start in the morning! however if I put the shower head in the bath the pump will start straight away.

All the heights etc are correct and therefore would not suggest negative head. But I am open to ideas on this.

I have made one mistake on the installation, I used the cold water supply from the existing connection which was for the electric shower installed previously and now realise this needs to be changed to come from the water tank as currently its on mains pressure, but I can't see this being the cause of my problem?

I also thought it might be air, but this would not explain why the pump activates when the shower head is in the bath. So I am a bit confused.

Its one of those jobs where I did someone a favour (because it was only a half hour job :rolleyes: and its come back to bite me!

Sponsored Links
you can't run the pump off the mains. and plus it is illegal. :rolleyes:

someone else will bite you if you leave it on the mains. ;)

Sponsored Links
LMAO

if only seco if only

Sorry OP but this is a terribly amatuerish mistake to make and goes against the training EVEN an ex accountant would recieve at "Give us 12k and we will make you aplumber in 40 mins" course

True

Bet he wishes he hadnt bigged himself up to his "mate" say I can do that No problem now

How horrid are we seco

lmao

Sorry OP

Its one of those jobs where I did someone a favour (because it was only a half hour job :rolleyes: and its come back to bite me!

if he's not a plumber he's bl**dy good installing the pipework and pump in half hour.
even i wouldn't book that in under an afternoons work. must be slacking :oops:

if he's not a plumber he's bl**dy good installing the pipework and pump in half hour.
even i wouldn't book that in under an afternoons work. must be slacking :oops:

You and me both

mind you its been a while since I "plumbed" anything

Thank God

:)

Spring-loaded non-return valves in the shower, it needs a minimum head to start the flow and operate the flow switch which starts the pump. The switch must only be on the hot side?

Spring-loaded non-return valves in the shower, it needs a minimum head to start the flow and operate the flow switch which starts the pump. The switch must only be on the hot side?
Thanks onetap

As for the rest of you, no I am not a plumber, no I did not "big" myself up to my mate. I took a look in the airing cupboard and all the connections were ready installed, the hot water was isolated as well as the cold water, it was just a case of connecting it up which is why I thought it was a quick half hour job, I was actually told it had a pump before but that was not the case.

I realised the cold water mistake as soon as I had finished. But also noticed the flow problem. Because it was not plumbed properly and the shower not working correctly I isolated the supply and told my mate I would be back to fix it.

Stupidly I asked the question on here to try and find out an answer to why the pump may not be coming on. I did not hide the fact that I had made a mistake, I did not blame anyone else for my mistake. But had I not given the facts you would have slagged me off for not giving all the information. Thanks for your help :!:

For the pump to work you must have a flow through the shower with the pump turned off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back