What is negative head - re shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have an electric shower in a loft conversion, so it is above the cold water tank but it is connected to the mains water. The shower is not very good and is a disaster if another tap is run elsewhere. Question is - is this negative head ? So should I get a negative head pump and connect that to the shower; or is the general water pressure poor so should I install a whole house pump ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes it negative head.
no you can't put a pump on to the mains its illegal.

get a electric shower that is tank fed and it has its own pump and will be better pressure.

or fit a mixer valve with a neg head pump

How can it be a negative head, it's connected to the mains :rolleyes:

How can it be a negative head, it's connected to the mains :rolleyes:
in that respect no.
but in the respect of the shower head above the tank yes if tank fed.

i just could be bothered to type it all. its to late.

Sponsored Links
So should I get a negative head pump and connect that to the shower; or is the general water pressure poor so should I install a whole house pump ?

No one`s incoming mains cannot sustain an electric shower! Change your shower mate, It`s well Sh**te. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I takr it you've never worked on a property with a restricted cold main then? I've come across properties where the mains flow rate was 3 l/min. Pressure was excellent though.

I takr it you've never worked on a property with a restricted cold main then? I've come across properties where the mains flow rate was 3 l/min. Pressure was excellent though.

Nope, never worked on a restricted cold main, can`t imagine why it would be restricted, mains pressure is measured in bar not litres per minute. ;)

Nope, never worked on a restricted cold main, can`t imagine why it would be restricted, mains pressure is measured in bar not litres per minute. ;)

Oh dear, Another 10 weeker let loose. :rolleyes:

You were doing so well plumskull.

One post t0000ooooooooooooo many mate.

plumbskull said:
swbjackson wrote:

Nope, never worked on a restricted cold main, can`t imagine why it would be restricted, mains pressure is measured in bar not litres per minute

err dingbat read the post again sw was referring to flowrate which has nix to do with pressure

doitall said:
Oh dear, Another 10 weeker let loose. icon_rolleyes.gif

You were doing so well plumskull.

One post t0000ooooooooooooo many mate.

10 weeks john don't think this twonk got past the third ;)

There's several way to solve the problem, the best way depends on the mains pressure.

Accumulator or pump.

There's several way to solve the problem, the best way depends on the mains pressure.

Accumulator or pump.

Or, pardon me for having an opinion, check your incoming mains pressure,3 bar is most excellent, normally about 1-2bar if you haven`t got that you need to speak to your water provider & check that your incoming main supply is adequate for the utilities in your home.

Said that in the first place. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No need for accumalator or pump to an electric shower, ridiculous advice, you must have a problem with your incoming cold main supply, is your house tank fed for cold water supply upstairs? Check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back