neighbour damaged my soffits

It looks like they've had a complete replacement job rather than a cover up. If they were to cut back the extended fascias, there would be nothing there behind so they would have to get new timber fascia and new soffit installed, then paint the fascia black and the soffit white so even if it's done, the bit will look 'new' compared to your exisitng timber fascias and soffits so you would still see how far their fascias used to come over.

We've sometimes 'gone over' by a few inches when there are AIB asbestos insulated boards, the sectional join can sometimes be a little over your side but even then the fascia stays where it should be.

I'll be completely honest with you in saying it's not worth the hassle and worry for you sorting all this out. If the fitters told you to get lost then we all know it's not going to get done whatever happens.

The only saving grace of them going over is that when you get your soffits done (assuming your terrace is the usual 5.2 to 5.4m width, your fitter will only have to use 2 lengths of fascia/soffit for front and back ;)

Instead of spending on court orders etc spend the money on new soffits and fascias instead. Not the answer you wanted but the amount of stress neighbourly disputes cause, you may as well just get yours done :)

Sponsored Links
paint it your colour so it doesn't show. You can use non-drip gloss on plastic, it sticks well. Wipw it clean with white spirit first.

I'll be completely honest with you in saying it's not worth the hassle and worry for you sorting all this out.

Instead of spending on court orders etc spend the money on new soffits and fascias instead. Not the answer you wanted but the amount of stress neighbourly disputes cause, you may as well just get yours done :)

Looking at the photos of your fascias I'd be inclined to agree with that very good advice. Save up and have your fascia done with the same materials as theirs. It can't be more than £500 if you are terrace. It will only make your house look neater if/when you sell compared with the flaking paint you have at the moment.

Sponsored Links
paint it your colour so it doesn't show. You can use non-drip gloss on plastic, it sticks well. Wipw it clean with white spirit first.

John has the right answer, get your window cleaner to do it, material £10 and £20 to the window cleaner. Job done

Then let your neighbour take you to court.!!!!!!

Andy

I'll be completely honest with you in saying it's not worth the hassle and worry for you sorting all this out.

Looking at the photos of your fascias I'd be inclined to agree with that very good advice. Save up and have your fascia done with the same materials as theirs. It can't be more than £500 if you are terrace. It will only make your house look neater if/when you sell compared with the flaking paint you have at the moment.

As above, save you money on the courts, and carry on what your neighbour started!

You have been great guys with all your advice and many thanks !!!

Yeah my soffits are'nt the best but I think the wood is solid, and a bit of a paint job is all they need - my guttering guy said they were fine. And I do prefer wood - and don't see why I should renew good wood ones with plastic when they are not needed, at a lot of cost to me, just because neighbours changed theirs. They like plastic but doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the houses.

Roof - yeah might need re-doing - obviously the idea would be do it all together, but that is going to be difficult - these guys act like they are a detached property ! A future battle I am not going to initiate !!

From what I gather from you is that the guy who re-fit their soffits was wrong in going over my boundary - and to be honest i think if I had gone over theirs all hell would have let loose.

My solution is the paint job - come spring. I think there might be complaints. I will let you know.

In the meantime - many thanks and good to discover a great forum generally for DIY....

and on that note...

I am building some long shelves (7 foot) between walls. I've come up with a novel solution. I have put short supports along the sides (natch) and long supports along the back....but also, cunningly, or absurdly, I am not sure, long supports above the shelves to prevent them bending forward.

Will this work ? I know nothing about engineering obviously, but I have a sort of innate bendy stoppy optimistic logic going on in my brain. PS. Shelves are behind my sofa so if this does not work it might be important if I am not to be entombed unexpectely one evening by weighty tomes.

glad you found a solution
suggest to save further confrontation you talk to the vandal agree where the boundary is mark in chalk on the wall and then tell him that you are going to paint your side making sure you stop 1" short off the mark

have you thought about scaffold boards new or recycled dependant on weight they will cope

any other solution will require 1 or 2 mid way supports
how deep are the shelves and what are you loading them with ??

Your shelves will need supporting if you put heavy books, hifi speakers, etc, on them. And if you have good supports throughout the width you will be able to use he shelves for what you want.

You could do it like this using threaded rod:

screw a 7 foot length of batten to the ceiling, just in front of the depth of the shelves. Before you put it up, screw three right angled, ready slotted, strong steel support brackets to what will be the inside of the batten.

Use nuts on the rods to clamp them to the support brackets, so the rods project downwards. Drill holes through the shelves, positioned so the shelves can be moved up and down the threaded rods.

Then work your top shelf up the rods and then use washers and nuts under it to level the shelf with the long wooden support you have on the wall at the back. The weight on the front of the shelf is, of course, then taken on the overhead support batten on the ceiling. Then just carry on putting more shelves under the one above as you like.

I've done exactly this and it worked successfully. Two support brackets may do if a spacing of 21 inches between them will be good enough for your needs. I used bright steel threaded rod and nuts and it looked fine.

Hope this is clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back