neighbour dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if other people had any experience of dealing with the council on neighbour issues.

We have next door which is rented out. New tenants have moved in and do not seem keen on emptying their bins. Now there is a build up of bags round their bin which borders our garden.
We've left a polite note but nothing has happened.

Does anyone know if the landlord could be ultimately responsible for this and if LAs will take action against private tenants or landlords?

The landlord never left any details with neighbours when he bought the house. I've got his address via the land registry (and it cost me too as its not a free service...). However i don't see the point in writing to the landlord if he is legally not responsible.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Persoally, Id contact the council. Explain the circumstances, and take it from there.

I suppose you would have to Do ityourself[/b]

Or you could show the a picture of soggy and say if you don`t sort it this guy will be calling :LOL:

Now there is a build up of bags round their bin which borders our garden.

Are they causing a nuisance?

Do the cats/foxes prowl round them?

Are they attracting vermin?

Do they smell?

Are they causing an obstruction to yourself?

If this is the case, I think you have solid grounds to complain.

Sponsored Links
This is an environmental health issue, and you should direct your inquiries to that dept at the council

I'll second what Woody has said.

Don't forget to mention the rats that you have seen ;)

I'll second what Woody has said.

Don't forget to mention the rats that you have seen ;)

Exactly that, you beat me to it.

When you speak to the LA always get a name of the person you spoke to, it does make them focus when they know you can track them down.

Is the property let through an agent, if it is contact them as they are the landlords agents and will act on his/her behalf. Letting agents will inspect the property normally quarterly, rubbish issues should get picked up then but as the tenats know when the inspection is a tidy up is often done prior to the visit.

What sort of people are the tenants, are they a family or a bunch of sharers (sharers are the worst) If it is a family a chat might work but if they are sharers don't bother just get onto the council. :rolleyes:

Good luck

Polski sharers. leave early in the morning and come back late at night.
no letting agent involved, the4 landlord lives in an affluent area of Manchester and we've never seen him round here. Never bothered to leave contact details, i got these from Land Registry.

I've now left a note on the door (as they can't be even bothered to open the letterbox which is full) politely telling them that bin emptying is on Wednesday and that they should not leave loose stuff around.

I doubt it'll work but i think it is more evidence if the council have to get involved, no doubt they'll be threading carefully due to pc issues....

if not empty by Wednesday landlord gets a phone call at this mansion in Cheshire....

Thanks for the advice

As woody says, you need to get in touch with the council as they can summons them under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, which gave powers to town hall officials to hand out fines to rubbish rulebreakers. (this is from my local council dept assuming they are all the same?)

The next problem would be is that you got to live there

In a way I don't know what they are like as it seems they got no respects for the law or their neighbours.

How long have they been there? Hopefully it's only short term.

I'm not sure if the council have to give them a warning first before sending a summons.

I know this is wrong but would it not be easier to take the rubbish to the local tip to keep the peace?

It could be as simple as they can't read your note, although most Poles I meet have a good grasp of the English language.

How many are sharing the house as Poles are notorious for overcrowding a property and flaunting the terms of the lease.

If you have the landlords tel no give him a bell and ask him to intervene, they might just need telling from him to get it done.

What you don't want to do is end up as the villain of the panto, by that I mean you don't want the landlord going round to the tenants saying "It's not me you see, it's that nosey ba$tard next door, he's threatened to complain to the council"

Any future relationship with your neighbours could/would be in tatters.

You could find upended bags of rubbish on your garden so I would be diplomatic in my approach.

to be honest if these people can't be bothered to empty their bins after politely being asked to do si i don't give a monkeys about my relationship with them.

I am curious to know if a landlord has responsibility for their tenants behaviour. Judging by how hes run this property i doubt he will be interested in helping us. I mean once we rang him cause the door was left open for hours and we were worried they had been burglared and all he cared about was how did we get his phone number....this was with previous tenants (these were foreign workers too).

he is driving his fancy lexus through cheshire whilst i'm having to put up with this s...t, i'm getting p...d off with it.

My give soggyweetabix a ring :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back